Ruined 2XIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampdonkeybeer

Reaction score
Did I just ruin my 2XIPA?

As I racked the secondary over to the bottling bucket I multitasked and finished moving some bottles around and preparing caps for the rest of the process.

When I got back to the secondary/bottling bucket I realized that the auto syphon had moved enough to put strain on its inner gasket and was allowing air to mix in with the beer. There it was bubbling away. After a a frantic few seconds fixing the issue I finished racking to the bucket.

This has never happened before. My bottling and racking technique has always been smooth and without error. What should I expect from this mistake? Is the beer garbage now?

I've been warned to not disturb the beer (as much as humanly possible) during racking and bottling. This just scared me a little. Please forgive the (perhaps) frantic nature of this post. All that hoppy deliciousness is just too sexy to waste.

Beer is pretty resilient. Worrying about what you did wrong is more likely to change your perception of the final product than your actual mistake.

Back