Nashville brewers - do you use the tap water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richl025

BIAB brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone here brews (either extract or AG) with the local tap water...

I'm mainly doing extract brews, and not that smart on figuring all the water additions if needed, but I can chuck in a Campden tab if it'll save me buying all that bottled spring water...

I use the city water. From my limited understanding, it's pretty good. I got a Ward labs report last summer, but I don't know how much it fluctuates.

I usually just add a campden tab and 5 or so total grams of Gypsum and CaCl2. I use Bru'n water for figuring additions.

pH 7.7
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 147
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.25
Cations / Anions, me/L 2.4 / 2.4
ppm
Sodium, Na 6
Potassium, K 1
Calcium, Ca 32
Magnesium, Mg 6
Total Hardness, CaCO3 105
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.1 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 11
Chloride, Cl 9
Carbonate, CO3 < 1.0
Bicarbonate, HCO3 85
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 70
Total Phosphorus, P 0.30
Total Iron, Fe < 0.01
"<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit

I brew all grain

Thanks, that's good info!

Due to time constraints I'm going to only be doing extract brews for a little while, I think I'll try the tap water + a campden tab next time...

Anyone have a water report from white house tn (whud)? The information online dosent include everything I need. I called them and got the same info from the website. Thanks in advance!

Anyone have a water report from white house tn (whud)? The information online dosent include everything I need. I called them and got the same info from the website. Thanks in advance!

Ever get this?
I'm on the same water(ridgetop). Seems like solid water but I'd like to get into the chemistry more

Ever get this?
I'm on the same water(ridgetop). Seems like solid water but I'd like to get into the chemistry more
Yea I actually obtained the water profile for whud from the owner of rebel brewer. It is a couple years old but it has worked well for me so far. Still want to send off a sample to ward for comparison sake.
.Ca 27
Mg 5.5
Na 6.8
Cl 9.6
So4 23
Hco3 75
Hardness 50
Alky 61
Let me know if you send off a water sample.
:mug:

Thanks for the quick reply and to Tom indirectly

I'm under the belief that chloramine is not a problem in this water

Do you feel the same?

Thanks for the quick reply and to Tom indirectly

I'm under the belief that chloramine is not a problem in this water

Do you feel the same?
Actually I don't. I started using 1/4 of a campden tablet in the mash and sparage water. I had a certain taste I couldn't put my finger on and once I started using them it went away. This was also the last thing I tried so I'm a strong believer in them for our water.

Been doing the same here
Full tab split in the mash and sparge(11g batch)
But I think it's just chlorine in the water
Whud doesn't list that they use chloramine as a treatment on their website

Latest posts

Back