A new batch... another mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wing_nut

Reaction score
Batch #4 - Cooper Pilsner. The booklet, a little vague, said additional fermentables needed. Light dry malt and dextrose. Went online to order and I ordered corn sugar instead of dextrose. Was I thinking that was for priming? Dunno. Point is I am guessing the dextrose was supposed to go in with the LME and the DME. It didn't. No bubbling after 6 days and then 2 days at 1018. Alcohol worked to just under 2%.

So, not enough sugar for the yeast to eat. Is the yeast that is in there still looking for some yummies? Can the dextrose be dissolved, boiled and cooled to add now? If so, would it be better to rack to a carboy for a 2nd fermentation? Is the yeast still in suspension or will it all have settled to the bottom?

I know we learn by our mistakes but I mean really now... so many questions, I know.:confused:

I don't know if this answers your question, perhaps I read it wrong, but corn sugar = dextrose = corn sugar.

You could add it now, not sure really how that would turn out. Or, chalk it up to a rookie mistake and start over.

Typically, the complete coopers kits are 1 can of their pre-hopped malt extract flavors, plus 1kg of one of their dextrose/malto dextrin combinations. (brewing sugar, brew enhancer 1, brew enhancer 2 are all different proportions of those 2 things). Plus the coopers yeast, and coopers carbonation drops for bottle priming. So if you used about 1kg of corn sugar, then that should be fine as far as fermentables.

But 1018 is kind of high, I dont know enough to advise what do do though, other than wait longer and take another reading.

This was not a complete kit but one of the malt extract cans that com,e with the yeast packet. The booklet say to dissolve the LME and other fermentables in 2 liters of boiling water. Put this in the fermenter and top off to 21 liters. Then top off with cold water or ice to 23 liters to get the temp down. Can't remember what that temp in the booklet was but I did get that part right at about 72 degrees.

The booklet did not say what fermentables. The can label does say it needs 1 lb of their light dry malt and 300g of dextrose. There was no mention of priming sugar for bottling and I assumed the dextrose was for that. Given the conditions I described above, I am assuming that dextrose was to have gone into the wort and not for priming.

The OG was 1029

Latest posts

Back