Partial Automation.. still overwhelming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djonesax

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My current process is propane and everything is manual but I want to add some electricity and partial automation.

This is what I want to do.

1. Recirculate mash
2. RIMS to maintain temps and step up
3. Fly sparge
4. Whirlpool
5. Drain kettle with

I still plan to heat with gas, electric would be nice one day but I don't want such a large project right now.

I have been feeling pretty overwhelmed with all the controller options to do this and was wanting to get some opinions.

I have been looking at a BCS module as well as the Horsehead2. I want something that wont be a HUGE project but that I can grow with overtime. I like the idea of the Horsehead2 because it seems pretty ready to go but I am havent decided if I want to go 110 or 240v yet. For the moment it doesn't seem like I need 240v for just RIMS I have a spa panel close to where I brew so I *could* jump off of it and add a plug for brewing.

So I was hoping to get some opinions/suggestions that would help me get started on something that will do what I want but not pigeon hole me in the future or result in a project that takes 6 months to complete.

Thanks,

David

If you want to grow with something, then the BCS will give you a lot more input & output capabilities. Many BCS users find that they use their controller for fermentation control and kegerator control while also being able to run their brew day.

Thanks, after thought I think i will go with the BCS. I had been turned off because of all the complex electric control boxes but non of that is really necessary.

I have decided to break this down into small'ish chunks. I just bought all the camlock fittings, bulkheads, and valves I need to hook up two pumps to be used to recirculate, fly sparge, and whirlpool. I think I'll work on that and and brew on that for a few months and then add the RIMS and BCS to the mix later.

David

Latest posts

Back