Best bottling sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RangerG

Reaction score
Back in the day I used to use table sugar for bottling at 3/4 cup because the fizz was more of what I wanted compared to using corn sugar which would always come out less fizzy. Since I'm getting ready to bottle again for the first time in 12 years I'm having to decide if I should just use the same old table sugar method.

Did the table sugar create more carbonation because the crystals are more compact than the powdery corn sugar product? Maybe I should just use more corn sugar, or start using a DME to get used to that as the nuance of my beers becomes more pronounced?

From reading the threads it seems that measuring by weight is more accurate than a volume measurement - it's 5 oz of sugar for a 5 gallon batch, right?

Yes, you should be measuring by weight - measuring by volume is a crap shoot because the densities vary a lot, especially when you compare crystalline vs. powdered sugar, etc.

Using table sugar vs. corn sugar should not make your beer "more fizzy" if you are using the right amount of each, but chances are, your observations are due to measuring by volume and ending up with a different amount (by weight) of sugar in each case.

If I were you, I'd buy a cheap digital scale and weigh out your sugar instead. Or, at the very least, borrow one and use it to figure out an approximate density for the particular sugar you are using (like how much a tablespoon or 1/8 cup or something weighs) so at least you can make more accurate measurements when measuring by volume in the future.

The amount of sugar you use in a 5-gal batch depends on your desired carbonation level. Different styles have different typical carbonation levels. I keg, so I rarely use priming sugar, so I can't give you a good rule of thumb, but it's something that brewing software can very easily tell you.

Well, measuring it is then.

Yeah, back in the day pretty much everything that I did was a crapshoot - I'm trying to change my evil ways. I've even decided that I need to get to know that SG floating thing instaed of brewing the way that I cook; by the seat of my pants.

Latest posts

Back