10.10.10 Recipe Discussion Thread - The HBT Anniversary Series

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When we were talking about the 999 brew, there was some discussion of a blonde dopplebock. I'd still like to consider something "special" like that, although I know not everyone can lager. A wee heavy is ok, I guess, but not really what I think of as a commerative type brew.

When we were talking about the 999 brew, there was some discussion of a blonde dopplebock. (...) A wee heavy is ok, I guess, but not really what I think of as a commerative type brew.

I hear ya. I'm still not 100% about it myself. Blonde Doppelbock, likewise, I am just a little unsure of, it's another I really don't drink often, or like drinking as much as a RIS. What about a strong English IPA? Go old school with it, the real across-the-continent strong stuff?

What other styles are fun? I mean, I guess a Rochefort 10 clone is okay, but... again. I'd also do a Saison/Funkhouse/etc, or a Golden Strong.

Srsly.

You guys. Srsly.

srsly-u-guys.jpg

off topic, but I was wondering if anyone had the 6.6.6 recipie... I did a quick search but couldnt find it.

back on topic....
My all grain setup will be complete in a week, I plan on making multiple batches of this as well... this will be my second all grain brew just so i can figure out my attenuation levels first

Thanks Chriso! I have been looking for that 6.6.6 for awhile but it would somehow allways evade me... Now you are mine, oh yes, you are mine.... :D

As for what to brew this round, my orriginal sugestion for anniversary brews was:
9/9/09 - Dopplebock
10/10/10 - Strong Scotch Ale
11/11/11 - Barleywine
12/12/12 - Belgian Trippel

Since we did a barleywine for 9/9/9, what about the following?
10/10/10 - Dopplebock
11/11/11 - Strong Scotch Ale
12/12/12 - Belgian Trippel/Quadrapel

My reasoning is it will be easier to stay (somewhat) in style and jack the gravity up with a scotch and a trippel/quadrapel. Besides who does not like a dopplebock :D

1) I'm with Coastarine. I'd rather not have to lager it , and 2) I've never been a fan of Doppelbocks. They're what I consider to be the definition of "cloyingly sweet". If a 7% doppelbock can make me sick, I don't want to think of what a 10% doppelbock would do to me. Even the Capital Blonde Dopplebock, which Yooper was talking about in prior discussion, is still so sweet that I enjoy the first drink, and regret the other 10 drinks in the bottle. It's better in cheesecake. :p

What about this:
10/10/10 Strong Scotch Ale
11/11/11 Double Porter (a'la Gonzo?) - we've not yet done one of those!
12/12/12 Belgian - e.g. Westvleterenernen (sp?) 12 or some other quad

Or, we could do a Sour Beer of some kind. Could be a fun way to provide a guided and supported environment in which to introduce more brewers to bugs?

I'd mention Samichlaus except that the description of "alcohol soaked raisins" turns me off just like an Imperial Dopplebock does. I'd mention Eisbock but it's illegal in the US.

By the time we get to '11 or to '13, maybe we want another hoppy bastard? Do up some modified 13% IIPA, like a Pliny The Younger?

What about an Imperial Brown Ale?

Another idea. For JUST one year, how about we actually do one of these concepts we've talked about, where we each ship 64oz of fermented beer - but not carbonated - to a single organizer, who combines them all into a barrel, and sours them? Then a year later, they get bottled, shipped back to their creators in a new, blended form? Call it "Extreme Collaboration"?

Bleh. Now I'm going overboard. Oh well, that's something for you all to mull over.

Keep the suggestions comin'. I guess we should do a poll, but I wanna have everything on the list before the poll gets created, that way nothing is left out.

Edit: If I had to list what I just said above, in the order of my preference, I would say: (PREFER -> DIS-PREFER)
Strong Scotch -> Double Porter -> Imperial Brown Ale -> Sour Beer -> IIIPA -> Belgian "12" -> Dopplebock

I guess I could be down with switching the order. 10's = Double Porter, 11's = Imperial Scottish Ale, 12's = Belgian Big Boy.

Hm. Not a bad idea at all.

I'd still like to go with the Wee Heavy for 10.10.10. I am already planning out how to get MO and GP. PLEASE! Keep it a Wee Heavy!

:tank:

11/11/11 would make a fine Double Porter, IMO. I really want to do the Wee Heavy personally. Just trying to foster discussion.

I all for the Wee Heavy. Not that an imperial porter doesn't sound great but I'd rather a Wee Heavy.

Craig

I would like to make a Wee Heavy so I'll throw my vote towards a Wee Heavy for 10/10/10.

Is there any way we can get a poll added to the the thread with some of the more popular requests? Then we can get a legit vote and go from there... I'm all about the democracy as long as there are no lawsuits or excessive recounts once the polls are closed. :D

I would like to make a Wee Heavy so I'll throw my vote towards a Wee Heavy for 10/10/10.

Is there any way we can get a poll added to the the thread with some of the more popular requests? Then we can get a legit vote and go from there... I'm all about the democracy as long as there are no lawsuits or excessive recounts once the polls are closed. :D

I think a vote for the style is a good call. After that I will brew whatever recipe is given to me.

I never made a HBT brew before but I've been around for a bit and I tried another members 08.08.08 and was amazed. I am very excited about a scoth ale and I'm in for the brewing.

OK Chriso, fess up, when ya doin the first round of this one?

I bought a few extra kegs :drunk: so I think I'm gonna do this when I have an open brew day. Which will be a few weekends away, since I'm almost out of Wit and my Belgian keg is almost kicked.

I am yet undecided. I was eyeing next weekend to brew Revision 1 of this beer... but I owe SWMBO a batch after giving away her vanilla porter. So I might do a Chocolate-Vanilla Hobgoblin next week, and then this bad boy the following weekend. I, too, have a few open homes for beer now, serving up 10 gallons at the benefit helped the backlog! :p

I need to drill and mount my valve in my new kettle before I brew again, so this weekend is for cleaning around the house, racking beer into kegs, trying to square up the valve situation, and working on the brew club's website, which is being revamped and relocated onto new servers.

I in fact forgot yesterday was 10/10. It was too busy being Friday in my book. Work been crazy fo shizzle.

I haven't forgotten this one, but I think I'm going 10 gallons of RIS for next winter in January, and the Maharaja for spring, so sometime after that I'll do a small batch. I was thinking of doing a 2.5 gallon test batch to bottle and age until 10-10-9-ish.

I haven't forgotten about this, either, even if I haven't been around the forum for a few months. I'm brewing something something for it probably by mid-April, no matter what you jokers decide. :)

TL

Well, I am caught up on this thread but I don't see a clear direction for the brew. I hear a great desire for another ale, not a lager. I hear a desire for lower hop rate as well. Scottish, double porter seem to be pulling ahead.

I have a crazy, out of left field idea. How about an Imperial Steam? I have never heard of one or thought about it before, but now that I have I will need to see what I can come up with, no matter if it is a HBT brew or not.

I really don't care and would be happy to offer whatever help is desired in a recipe.

As always, I would be honored to brew a Brewpastor recipe. Let me know how your brainstorming goes re: the Imperial Steam. :)

Well, I am caught up on this thread but I don't see a clear direction for the brew. I hear a great desire for another ale, not a lager. I hear a desire for lower hop rate as well. Scottish, double porter seem to be pulling ahead.

I have a crazy, out of left field idea. How about an Imperial Steam? I have never heard of one or thought about it before, but now that I have I will need to see what I can come up with, no matter if it is a HBT brew or not.

I really don't care and would be happy to offer whatever help is desired in a recipe.

Lead us to the homebrew promised land brewpastor...

Srsly u guys, I'd be interested in a Scotch Ale, Wee Heavy, or Imp. Porter. Seems like there are a lot of those Imp. Porters floating around these days, so I'm leaning towards the other brews. I also like the idea of an Imperial Steam beer, although I have never really had a steam beer that I fell in love with.

I am not sure what I am doing with this one. I am thinking of a Steam beer gone over the edge, something to reflect our 10-10-10 theme. Imperial doesn't get us there, so I decided to head for a 1.110 OG and 10+%. That means between 80 and 90 IBUs. I did not want it to be too sweet, so there is only a little crystal in it (maybe it should be dropped). I have a little pale chocolate to add some small amount of toast/coffee character, along with a bit of Munich for the light toast. I picked the Maris Otter because of its great rich malt character which will be the backbone for this beast.

The yeast is a question too. The Cal Lager is my favorite Common yeast by far, but with this big of a beer I don't know how it will hold up. With a big pitch and a low mash temp I bet it will be great. Mash at about 148 would be my guess.

The hops are traditional Steam - Chinook for major bittering and tasty Northern Brewer every where else.

I recognize this is an "Out There" beer. But I think I will be trying it no matter how it fairs with this 10-10-10 deal.

Here is what I have come up with so far:

[size=+2]Double Imperial California Common[/size]
[size=+1]23-A Specialty Beer[/size]
Author: Thomas C. Hart
Date: 2/13/09

Size: 6 gal
Efficiency: 65.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 353.35 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.105 (1.026 - 1.120)
|=====================#==========|
Terminal Gravity: 1.026 (0.995 - 1.035)
|====================#===========|
Color: 15.51 (1.0 - 50.0)
|============#===================|
Alcohol: 10.47% (2.5% - 14.5%)
|==================#=============|
Bitterness: 79.7 (0.0 - 100.0)
|====================#===========|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
23.0 lb Maris Otter Pale
4.0 lb Munich Malt
.175 lb Crystal Malt 40°L
0.175 lb Pale Chocolate Malt
36.0 g Chinook (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
20.0 g Northern Brewer (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30.0 min
20.0 g Northern Brewer (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
20.0 g Northern Brewer (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
20.0 g Northern Brewer (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
2.0 ea WYeast 2112 California Lager

Not to undercut Brewpastor's fine and delicious looking recipe, but how about an old ale- maybe something tinged with a bit o' Brett? Wyeast 9097 is a fine candidate for this style, but you'll have to move quickly as it's a Private Collection offering through March.

ummm, old ale...

Something like this:

[size=+2]Wyeast 9097 Old Ale[/size]
[size=+1]19-A Old Ale[/size]
Author: Jason Konopinski
Date: 2/4/09

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 80%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 292.52 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.087 (1.060 - 1.090)
|======================#=========|
Terminal Gravity: 1.022 (1.015 - 1.022)
|=======================#========|
Color: 21.61 (10.0 - 22.0)
|=======================#========|
Alcohol: 8.65% (6.0% - 9.0%)
Bitterness: 57.9 (30.0 - 60.0)

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
13.75 lb Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt
8.0 oz British Dark Crystal
3.0 oz British Black Patent
12 oz Molasses
1 oz Galena (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.75 oz Fuggle (4.8%) - added during boil, boiled 20 min
.5 oz Fuggle (4.8%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min

[size=+1]Schedule:[/size]
[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.2[/size]

or this, which I'm all in favor of as mine is currently still aging. :D

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum
Recipe: Blimey's Old Ale
Brewer: HopHed Brewhaus
Asst Brewer:
Style: Old Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.30 gal
Estimated OG: 1.094 SG
Estimated Color: 23.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 49.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.00 lb Treacle (100.0 SRM) Extract 5.56 %
16.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 88.89 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2.78 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.39 %
0.25 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 1.39 %

0.33 oz Burton Water Salts (Mash 60.0 min) Misc

3.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 28.2 IBU
1.50 oz Fuggles [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 15.9 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 5.3 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 17.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 3.06 gal of water at 176.0 F 155.0 F

ummm, old ale...

I've got my packet of Wyeast 9097 in the fridge. Was planning an Old Ale this weekend but I'll hold off in hopes that a 10-10-10 Old Ale recipe gets decided on.

Sorry the Imperial Steam doesn't excite me. I haven't had a Steam I cared for so and Imperial version isn't where I'd like to go.

My vote is 1st choice Old Ale, second choice Wee Heavy.

Craig

The old ale concept gave me a thought. What if we all brewed an old ale this spring using Wyeast 9097, and bulk age it for 1 1/2 years. Then in spring 2010, brew another old ale and blended the two for the 10-10-10 brew - much like historically done.

Tons of possibilities arise - 2 different recipes, 3 different brews (aged, blended, and new); you can even play around with the recipes for a blended '10's' theme between the two. And it just seems so d**n cool, right where a HBT series brew needs to be. I'd consider investing in an extra carboy and whatever else may be needed for bulk aging.

Of course, if aging and blending is beyond someone's reach they could still make the Spring 2010 brew and be part of the swap. However, I'd learn a lot about aging and blending from this, and I'm assuming others would as well.

Though a relative newb to the forums, I'm putting this on the table for consideration.

I think the blending old ale sounds awesome. This will be my first yearly beer I'm able to be part of. I vote for this. The Imperial Steam doesn't sound to intriguing to me.

Back