First Pumpkin Beer Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
Been brewing for awhile but this will be my first pumpkin beer. After a lot of research here is the recipe I came up with. Any and all suggestions welcome!

OG: 1.076
FG: 1.020
IBU: 23

10.5 # Marris Otter
3 # Munich
2# Aromatic
10 oz. Cara-Munich
.5# Lactose to boil

3# of Organic Canned Pumpkin (carmelized at 350 degrees) and added to the boil

All Fresh ground spices (still figuring out amounts-not going to over do it):

Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Ginger Root
All Spice
Real Vanilla Extract

Mash at 152.

Yeast: S-04

What do you think?

Looks like a pretty solid recipe but I do have a few concerns. The OG:BU ratio is pretty high, and with the lactose, may make for a too-sweet beer. Or maybe it won't. Only one way to find out! Also, that seems like a lot of aromatic malt, but not having ever used close to that amount, I couldn't say whether it would be too much or not. Again, why not try it and find out. Lastly though, is something I am sure about. You're going to the time and expense to make a big, complex recipe like that, and you're using s-04 yeast. Not that it's a bad yeast, but there are much MUCH better options. Please use a nice liquid yeast with a big starter for this beer. It will be a huge improvement.

Looks like a pretty solid recipe but I do have a few concerns. The OG:BU ratio is pretty high, and with the lactose, may make for a too-sweet beer. Or maybe it won't. Only one way to find out! Also, that seems like a lot of aromatic malt, but not having ever used close to that amount, I couldn't say whether it would be too much or not. Again, why not try it and find out. Lastly though, is something I am sure about. You're going to the time and expense to make a big, complex recipe like that, and you're using s-04 yeast. Not that it's a bad yeast, but there are much MUCH better options. Please use a nice liquid yeast with a big starter for this beer. It will be a huge improvement.

I think you are totally right about the yeast. What would you go with?

I think you are totally right about the yeast. What would you go with?

I really like Denny's Favorite 50 for a pumpkin ale. It will be clean with a good maltiness and big mouthfeel. You might also consider WY1028, for good attenuation, but a strong remaining maltiness. I also think the Irish Ale yeast would make a really good beer, you'd just have to mash a little lower, maybe 150, to get it to dry out where it needs to be. Any of those will make a much better beer than the s-04.

Looks good. I would add the lactose at kegging/bottling time.

Also, I added pumpkin at mash and boil. I was pleased with the results - >>seen here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/roasted-pumpkin-ale-44247/

Good Luck and happy brewing

Cool thanks. I checked out your recipe and it looks good also. I'm curious if you were happy with all of the spice additions (amounts and times added)??

I'm still trying to figure out my spicing. Thanks.

Do you think good old 1056 Cal Ale yeast would be fine for a Pumpkin Ale? I have a choice between that, english ale yeast, or any of the dry but I need to decide in the next couple of hours.

What do you think?

Cool thanks. I checked out your recipe and it looks good also. I'm curious if you were happy with all of the spice additions (amounts and times added)??

I'm still trying to figure out my spicing. Thanks.

-Sorry for the late response, I missed this one some how :(

I was pleased with the spice additions.....except one. I am now very cautious with Cloves. Maybe use less next time.

Do you think good old 1056 Cal Ale yeast would be fine for a Pumpkin Ale? I have a choice between that, english ale yeast, or any of the dry but I need to decide in the next couple of hours.

What do you think?

I think that is a good yeast to use...... but I think a better yest like British Ale II Yeast - Wyeast 1335 / WLP005 in order to maintain the rich malty character to balance out the "starchy" pumpkin while providing a clean crisp finish.

Latest posts

Back