Finishing a batch of Chokecherry wine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BootsyFlanootsy

Reaction score
howdy folks, made 3 gallons of Chokecherry wine last June and figured its about time I wrap things up.

aside from cider, this is my first wine, though I've got a good amount of beer making experience. so I'm well enough familiar with transfers and aging vessels and sanitary practices...

I'm curious about oak cube aging and any sort of acid, or back sweetening additions that may be necessary.

it was a fairly low abv, 11% or so. dry. aged in three seperate 1gallon vessels.

IMHO, chokecherry wine could benefit from oaking. I only drank the stuff but, never having done it myself I am talking out of turn a bit I guess.

Maybe try it on one of those gallons? As usual, I'd be cautious of over oaking is all.

It really depends on the wine. I make a LOT of chokecherry wine. Some years, it's a bit "brighter" and richer in flavor than others. It depends on the berries from year to year. Some years, I oak almost all of it, and some years I'll oak none of it. It has to be full flavored enough to stand up to the oak.

If it can benefit from some oaking, there are several kinds of oak. For a full bodied rich wine, I'll use medium oak for some tannins. When the wine is thinner and lighter, I'll use light oak for a hint of vanilla in the wine.

You could try treating each vessel differently, to see how it comes out.

Back