boiling beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makingitgood

Reaction score
i just wodering if you were to boil a beer would it do something to it? like take the alcohol away? or do soething wierd to it? i dont no why i want to no its just something i want to no........

It's really quite amazing...when you boil beer it actually concentrates (and enhances!) the alcohol. This is the true secret of producing very high alcohol beers, like imperial stouts. Try it sometime...take a twelve ounce beer and boil it down to about 3 ounces. You'll be left with 3 oz. of almost pure alcohol...that tastes like beer! Just be careful...it will knock you on your butt! :cool:

I boil my hot dogs in beer. When you're done, skim off the fat that floats to the top. Don't throw it away! The alcohol actually binds to the fat - freeze it in an ice tray to make popsicles!:p

wow.. hotdog flavored beercicles.. sounds.. well.. interesting.

Total B.S.

Alcohol boils at 70 degrees C. and water boils at 100 degrees C.

This is what makes distilation and concentration of alcohol possible.

Back when i was a kid and I could only buy near-beer... the non alcoholic stuff that had about 0.5%, I'd boil down the whole case to 16 ounces, and then that'd give me one glass of really strong beer! I totally recommend it! It's the best glass of beer you'll ever have. I would do it now, but I don't have time with working and all that stuff.

ScottT said:
Total B.S.

Alcohol boils at 70 degrees C. and water boils at 100 degrees C.

This is what makes distilation and concentration of alcohol possible.

glad at least *someone* knows some basic chemistry
sorry folks, you boil your beer and you'll boil the alcohol off long before the water, thereby making it much *weaker* as far as ABV or ABW - stills collect the alcohol from *vapor* and recondense it in another container. (what do you think all that copper tubing is for anyway?)

I presumed they were all being sarcastic, not wrong! doh!
But beer DOES put out the flames on a BBQ though, if that helps.... Only use stuff like coors light, bud, miller or something useless like that though!

Don't boil Chimay. That's a capitol offense. And for those that are spoiling our fun about boiling beer... Well maybe you guys need to drink some, and smile!

kneemoe said:
(what do you think all that copper tubing is for anyway?)
No, you've got it backwards kneemoe...that copper tubing leaches additional alcohol out of the air. Furthermore, while you may be correct where basic chemistry is concerned, beer chemistry is not basic...it is in fact very complex. If you'll read up a little more on the subject, you'll discover that in fact the boiling points of alcohol and water are reversed in beer, so that it's the water that boils off first, leaving you with highly concentrated beer. :cool:

(Warning: To avoid flaming, please note winkie thingy at top of post.)

Steve973 said:
Don't boil Chimay. That's a capitol offense. And for those that are spoiling our fun about boiling beer... Well maybe you guys need to drink some, and smile!

Granted, I'm new to this forum and don't know who makeitgood is but this being the beginners board I just didn't want someone who didn't know any better to take you guys seriously.

I did know that you guys were having fun with the question. I don't know if it was a legitemate question or not.

ScottT said:
Granted, I'm new to this forum and don't know who makeitgood is but this being the beginners board I just didn't want someone who didn't know any better to take you guys seriously.

I did know that you guys were having fun with the question. I don't know if it was a legitemate question or not.
I've got a generally low opinion of the human race for the most part, but I don't really believe there's anybody anywhere that would have taken those posts seriously. But suppose for a moment that makeitgood did take it seriously...then all we've done is shown a 14 year old kid how to remove the alcohol from his beer before he drinks it. Heck, I think we performed a public service last night. ;)

People, I'm still pretty new to this site and to brewing in general. But I've got a degree in Chemistry and SteveT is right if you boil beer or any type of achohol the Ethanol will vaporize early (boiling point of 78 C), leaving you with just a bunch of water with flavour.

The way it works is.....as the tempurature reaches the boiling point of alcohol the temperature will actually hold steady until the ethanol is pretty much vapourized. Then the boiler point will start to rise until it reaches the next major boiling point. Whether this boiling point is water or not depends on what the contents of your mixture.

As mentioned, you can capture the vapour in a tube and cool it and seperate it off. This however is very dangerous and CAN KILL YOU!!!! I will not explain that here!

Igorstien, relax man...have a brew. Nobody is boiling anything here...everybody posting here knows this is a farce, a satire, a practical joke on a young kid. There are little winky faces all over the place. And as I pointed out above...so what if somebody does believe it. All it's gonna do is take their alcohol away from them. :cool:

You're kidding!?!?!?! boiling beer removes the alcohol? Jeez, next time I'm not boiling my wort. Maybe I'll get like forty frickin' percent! Woohoo, i'm onto something new! :) And somebody told me that they took the word "gullible" out of the dictionary, and I believe them. I looked at the dictionary at the bookstore, and I think it might not have made it to the presses yet, but there's a little insider info for you to lookout for.

El Pistolero said:
Nobody is boiling anything here

Crap, no one is boiling anything here? I am taking advice from a bunch of fakers! damn, i knew something went wrong with my last brew

To keep the peace, I will go boil up a vat of Coors Light.

Lessee now, lemme get my trusty calculator and figure out the alcohol level of the remaining brew once I boil it down a bit.

[gears turn, smoke billows]

Ah - I got it - once I boil it down, the alcohol percent hardly changes at all! It goes from damn near zero to damn near zero!

LOL try getting me to take the good stuff out of my beer. well i no what i need a ceeled pot with a hoes going to a bottle :D then i can have some good stuff :D

LOL try getting me to take the good stuff out of my beer... well i no what i need a ceeled pot with a hoes going to a bottle :D then i can have some good stuff :D

El Pistolero said:
No, you've got it backwards kneemoe...that copper tubing leaches additional alcohol out of the air. Furthermore, while you may be correct where basic chemistry is concerned, beer chemistry is not basic...it is in fact very complex. If you'll read up a little more on the subject, you'll discover that in fact the boiling points of alcohol and water are reversed in beer, so that it's the water that boils off first, leaving you with highly concentrated beer. :cool:

(Warning: To avoid flaming, please note winkie thingy at top of post.)

too funny ;)
i cant wait to boil down those corona's - maybe then they'll be drinkable beer :eek: lol

If you drink it now it'll be flat and may have what can only be described as a "green taste". Wait a minimum of a week.. really two weeks is the bare minimum for it to be drinkable.

The absolute worst part of homebrewing is waiting for your freshly bottled beer to carbonate and age.. especially that first batch. Just be patient, it'll be worth it.

makingitgood said:
LOL try getting me to take the good stuff out of my beer... well i no what i need a ceeled pot with a hoes going to a bottle :D then i can have some good stuff :D

I love it when my ho's go to the bottle.

What kind of alcohol would you get if you skipped the carbonation step and distilled the fermented wort? I'd assume it would be pretty close to a whiskey, if you used corn in your mash.

ok i opened one of my bottles to test it if i re cap it like i did will it still get better in like 2 weeks?

Back