Small Floating Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you need a bigger pot!

I don't know of a smaller version, but what are you using the thermometer for in a kettle?

It's a 30 quart pot, I think I'm good there.

why wouldn't you want one that floats. Used to monitor the temp of the steeping, and when v bringing the water to an almost boil. Saves your hands from steam burn when checking the temp.

I am confused. You say it hits the bottom of the pot so I assume it tilts over because it is not really floating but if the pot were deeper it would float?

That looks a lot like the floating thermometers you buy for fish tanks, the idea is it floats so you can grab it easily to check or see right through the glass. All the readings are below the water, so how would you read it anyway in what I assume is a metal pot? You would still need to take it out right?

My thought was if it doesn't float because there is not enough depth it will still give you reading lying on its side.

...and I doubt you will be able to read it looking down into the pot while it is floating down in the water upright. How far down does it sink in a deep enough volume? Enough sticking out for you to read it?

Back