Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine in its early phase
IMG_0406.jpg
IMG_0468.jpg
IMG_0467.jpg

can you show some more pics? details?

The mash tun and HLT are bottom draining, made from upside down sanke kegs with the bottom cut out. I insulated them with 1 inch thick K-Flex insulation and then wrapped that with 1/8" thick yoga mat material to protect the insulation.

This is the underside of the mash tun. The ball valve on the left lets me close off the sight glass before I dough in so that I don't have to worry about cleaning it, and I can also move it to the HLT when I am sparging.
Mash Tun Underside.jpg

This is the pump that I connect to my boil kettle. The three way ball valve lets met send water to either the HLT and mash tun, or to my plate chiller by turning the handle to either the left or the right.
Pump.jpg

BrewSetup1.jpg
I'm just getting back into brewing after a long absence. My old system was a pretty simple 3 tier system with a propane burner, a 10 gallon Polarware BK, and HDPE HLT and MLT. Between my job and the Maine weather it never saw much use sadly.

For my new system I've decided to go electric so I can brew inside and maybe encourage my friends who are old like me and even less tolerant of the cold to get back into brewing.
My budget has been tight so I decided to try and reuse my old HLT and MLT which I bought back in 2001 and hold about 15 gallons each. I replaced all the old plastic fittings on both and added a herms coil and a weldless element port to the HLT. The MLT originally had plastic false bottom but I found that the stainless false bottom that came with the Polarware kettle fit perfectly so that is installed now. I replaced my old Polarware kettle with a Stout kettle that has an element port and holds about 16.5 gallons. Pumps, hoses, and fittings are in the budget for this month and then hopefully next month I can start putting together a control panel.

I cheaped out on the stand which is a design I've seen here numerous times. All the lumber was salvaged from a dumpster after the renovation of my Mum's garage. The size of the top is 64" by 24" which was determined by the shortest of the least twisted of the 2x6s I was able to find. The one 4x4 I found wasn't quite a full 8 footer but I was able to get four legs out of it and ended up with a height of about 30" which seems to be a fairly comfortable height to work at. I had some dark oil based stain that I put on it to help cover up the patches and nail holes. It turned out very sturdy and with the casters (cheap) and the Toploc screws (expensive) it cost me less than $40.

I'll throw mine in the mix. Its a stand that I designed and had built. Its 1.5 inch steel square frame, powder coated to a metallic blue. The top is a pice of 1/8" stainless steel and the bottom shelf is aluminum tread plate. The steel arm to raise my grain basket out of the kettle is telescopic so it will actually slide back down inside of the table frame by removing a lock pin. The controller is from ebrewsupply. I also put the plans of my stand in case anyone would like to use.
IMG_1727.jpg

IMG_1733.jpg

Attachments

• Brewing Stand.pdf
    19.7 KB · Views: 61
There are a lot of photos scattered over many threads of brewing set-ups.I looked all over the web for pics and ideas for a simple sculpture.Maybe it'll help someone to see a bunch in one place.

This was a fairly simple project.

Cheers:mug:

Here’s mine. One in use the other in its space in the garage. It sure made brew day easier.

Attachments

• 679F455C-0CAF-413E-A453-EA9AB0F7D8A6.jpeg
    679F455C-0CAF-413E-A453-EA9AB0F7D8A6.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 335
  • 514D4FCC-6452-4041-BBB9-8BBA9E76E719.jpeg
    514D4FCC-6452-4041-BBB9-8BBA9E76E719.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 294
upload_2018-5-6_7-56-0.jpeg

A little primitive but effective manual HERMS. I use an immersion chiller as my HERMS coil and as a pre chiller before my plate chiller. The black rubber coated MLT is great at holding mash temps. I’m going to experiment with constant rise mash temps on my next batch.

There are a lot of photos scattered over many threads of brewing set-ups.I looked all over the web for pics and ideas for a simple sculpture.Maybe it'll help someone to see a bunch in one place.

This was a fairly simple project.
11-247.jpg

Cheers:mug:

I've got a bit of a ghetto Electric brew setup here

What the efffff!

Looks like it’s from Casper!

Details, STAT!!!

I am just trying to learn the secrets of Youtube so if you like you can take a look at my channel for more details on my system. I am still building more functions to it and trying to add more Steampunk look... to make it look like the time machine of Doctor Snuggles or something :) . Next cool looking thingy will be the parallel counter flow chiller I am working on right now. So more and better quality videos coming up soon.. I am not that happy with the videos now, but I am learning... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKxDop_iEM_OGU0gXwY7Q2w? All comments, ideas, tips anything are welcome to the videos! Oh yeah and I just added a facebook page also, so I should have updated there soon also https://www.facebook.com/Pirunpanimo-177942586240705/

Last edited:
That is one of the more remarkable combinations of art and function I have seen in a while - very nicely done!

My HERMS with the controller I designed and built thanks to theelectricbrewery.com controller influence.

iPhone - 08-02-2011 128.jpg

That is one of the more remarkable combinations of art and function I have seen in a while - very nicely done!
Thank you! that what happens when you put a crazy artist on a project ;) it has taken few years :) I am still working on it and making improvements. On one side for example I have quite interesting bottle capping machine currently able to handle 1 bottle, but in future maybe 3 at time. Will post some video about it on my channel and maybe some pics here also.

That is a thing of steampunk beauty!
easy to see I like steampunk style? :) It was interesting project to create all those parts. The control panels I draw with Inkscape and then used laser cutter. They are actually made of mdf that I just painted copper & some stains :)

easy to see I like steampunk style? :) It was interesting project to create all those parts. The control panels I draw with Inkscape and then used laser cutter. They are actually made of mdf that I just painted copper & some stains :)
I watched your video, love the simplicity of the mash stirrer! And really curious about your BBQ, smoker stuff...you should join us over here
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/637254/

My third rig. This one is a Brutus style 11 Gallon post boil rig. I fully plan on replacing the plastic cooler, just havent decided on a bottom drain MT yet.

As of now all manual with dual pumps and camlock QDs. Obviously I cant commit to a brand either
XC6u37N

Last edited:
@pinchegil
Can you tell us about the gas line connectors or post a link? I'm particularly curious about the burner end.
The are Tejas Smokers CVO250 . they are for high pressure propane I have two for my mash and boil kettle, my mlt is controlled using a honeywell so I have a two stage regulator to drop 35lbs to 11 inches of water because of this I called them and they opened the orifice for me. These are all connected to Bayou Classic BG14s. They are a really nice feature
https://tejassmokers.com/Brass-Fittings-Valves/22#brass9

They replace your orifices

Last edited:
Back