Dry hop my American Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lando420

Reaction score
So I know it probably wont really be true to a style but here is what I have done so far:

Original Gravity (OG): 1.056 (1.059 when adjusted for 68 degree wort)
Bitterness (IBU): 30.0

1 lb raw wheat steeped at 155 for 30 min
100% Dry Malt Extract - Wheat 6lbs (3 lbs added late, 20 Minutes (Boil))

60 Minute boil
0.5 oz Citra (12.3% Alpha) @ 40 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 oz Citra (12.3% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

white labs IV hefe yeast pitched at 68 degrees

I had been planning on soaking some lemon zest in vodka and adding it when I rack to my carboy. Now I am kinda obsessing with dry hopping w/ 1-2 oz Citra rather than adding the zest. Any thoughts? I know there are some dry hopped wheat beers out there. This is my 2nd batch, the 1st came out great. I just wonder if I am meddling too much :D

Not shure about steeping the "raw" wheat i did white wheat malt for my american wheat, then again i get confused about the starch thing also and the headaches,you talking flakes or grain? I would say go for the dry hopping.Ive only heard citra is "Mango-y" I usually researched alot before i made my own decision-its a puzzle you put together then it turns out to be a good beer- you win.You drink good beer.

Wheat has to be mashed, so I'm not sure what the steeping will net you, if anything. If you were going to add some lemon zest, you would've been better off to throw it in at flameout or with 5 mins left in the boil. There's no reason you can't dry hop though. I'm sure that it will be great.

Latest posts

Back