My dog is a traitor!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got Toby a little over two years ago, from a shelter. He was about a year old, and he's the best dog in the world.

DSCF2201.jpg

Bob retired January 1, and I'm still working part-time. Bob started long daily walks and running errands, and then spring came and he's constantly working in the garden or going out to the cottage, etc. He takes the dog everywhere he goes. I'm the one who trained Toby, and spent more time with him up until then. Usually, we leave the house together (Bob, me and the dog) and go fishing or running errands together.

About a week ago, Bob went to a retirement lunch party, and I noticed that Toby laid by the door (like in mourning) while he was gone. Well, today Bob went fishing with a friend, and couldn't take Toby. Toby is lying by the back door, curled up and waiting for Bob to come back. I "lost" MY dog! I tried explaining to Toby that I am the one who rescued him from the shelter, and he should be MY dog. Toby looked at me, and put his head down to await Bob's arrival home. It goes to show you that a dog will bond more closely to the one who spends the most time with them, I guess!

Love on him anyways. He will come around!

My wife's dog is now mine because I love on her whenever I am home, even though my wife is home more.

Pretty dog you've got there. Or had I guess. There always a bacon to help sway him!

Yeah, had a GF who kept getting pissed because 'her' dog followed me around. Food, snacks, play time: all on me.

Time for another dog or two or three. You'll 'hit' eventually. Worst case, they'll come to you because Bob ran out of hands.

Yeah, my kids can't figure out why Ellie whines when I go outside and will listen to me before she listens to them........

Wow, he fell hard for Bob. My pup would sail me down the river for some bacon.

I know!!!! My dog is crazy about peanut butter. Nutso.

I'm brewing today, so I'm going to make him spent grain treats! I'll bribe him with a glorious combination of spent grains and peanut butter. He'll have to love me now.

He's STILL laying at the back door waiting for Bob. I'm brewing, racking beer and wine, listening to music, and having a great day. He's pouting. I think the treats will cheer him up!

I'm waiting for my new GF to arrive. She's got two hyperactive toy poodles. Will be interesting, but she is bringing their crates just in case the greys think more 'toy' than 'poodle'.

I'm waiting for my new GF to arrive. She's got two hyperactive toy poodles. Will be interesting, but she is bringing their crates just in case the greys think more 'toy' than 'poodle'.

Sounds like fun. Nothing like four dogs, all of them super active, to make life interesting. :D

Toby is active and loves his walks and runs, but he's very calm and laid back. That's why I like labs. When craziness ensues with kids and friends and other dogs, you have to watch Toby carefully. If you're not very careful, you could trip over his lazy ass as he lays down and watches the fun.

I need a big "Beware of the Dog" sign. Someday, someone will trip over his 80 pound lounging body and break their leg or something.

My girlfriend's dog loves me the most. Out of anyone she knows, I swear to God.

I'm not joking, my girl gets angry about it but refuses to accept it. Her Mom actually uses my name as a ruse to get the dog inside the house when all else fails. When I'm around the dog's behavior is the worst ever because she craves my attention, she'll go anywhere with me and will always come when I call her.

As much as Lucy loves me, she'll leave my side to get chicken scraps- but those can't convince her to come in the house!

Indeed, I should clarify:

SWMBO is a distant third to the dog...

I come second.

Any food, (especially a cheeseburger) would sway her from defending us from an intruder, and therefore, must place FIRST in her eyes......:(

Hmm, perhaps that's why they call it "Alpha Male!"

Sorry, couldn't help it. Sounds like a great dog though.

He's STILL laying at the back door waiting for Bob. I'm brewing, racking beer and wine, listening to music, and having a great day. He's pouting. I think the treats will cheer him up!

Well, there ya go. The treats are not going to help. Take the dog for a walk. Dogs are like kids- they want your time, not your treats.

Well, there ya go. The treats are not going to help. Take the dog for a walk. Dogs are like kids- they want your time, not your treats.

We did take a nice long walk. He came home, and laid at the back door, waiting for Bob!

Today, we'll be taking my daughter and her fiance to the lake to ride our "new" pontoon boat. Toby loves that!

Obviously, Yoop, your el hubbo is actively turning your dog agaisnt you with some sort of doggie-kyriptonyte. You stand no chance until you discover your husband's secret. Eliciting this information could take a lot of skill and the better part of a weekend. If I were you, I'd email Revvy for specifics as to techniques.

I love my dog but I know if someone else took her and treated her well she would forget about me in about a week. Dumb as a rock.

I have had 2 labs and there is no better dog. That being said, Labs go where the action is. For all of their great qualities of loyalty, empathy, compassion and love, in the end, they are party whores.

Our lab is a pathetic attention whore. She's round and short and pushes her head against you to get pets, and she is not picky where they come from.

But if the other dog wants to play with you, then she'll jump in and start humping him.

But food trumps all. She'll do anything for a treat, except walk on smooth floors.

The punishment for treason is death. I think it's in the constitution or something.

I have a yard of twine and an unpleasant disposition if you want to hire me? :)

I have had 2 labs and there is no better dog. That being said, Labs go where the action is. For all of their great qualities of loyalty, empathy, compassion and love, in the end, they are party whores.

I think you've hit the nail on the head! I'm just not as exciting as Bob. Bob does fun things like go through the bank drive up window with the back window down (for Toby to stick his big head out). Bob works in the garden, which Toby interprets and digging in the dirt. Bob mows the grass and Toby follows him. I guess Toby recognizes that Bob is the Action Guy. Bob also does 90% of the cooking and all of the grocery shopping, so if food is involved it is usually Bob's domain.

By the way, I found out a couple of years ago that Toby LOVES coffee. How I found out: I was drinking coffee while doing housework. I started vacuuming, so I set my coffee cup down on the coffee table. I went to take a drink and it was all gone! So, I realized I must have finished it so I went and filled up the cup and started again. I took a big sip, and then set it on the coffee table. When I turned off the vacuum, I heard "slurp, slurp" and turned and Toby was drinking my coffee. He only had about 1/2 of it gone that time, though. So, we no longer use the coffee table to hold our coffee cups.

Back