I need help for oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterfuse

Reaction score
I want to make an oatmeal stout and i need someone to help me with an extract recipe. i would like something similar to a Rogue Shakespeare stout. so far i was thinking along the lines of(now forgive me while i try to convert to US measurements) :

Oatmeal stout
Batch size - 5gallons

3.3lb john bull light LME
3.3lb john bull amber LME
1lb dark DME

1/2lb (or slightly less) chocolate malt
1/2lb (or slightly less) roasted barley
1/2lb Quaker oats (rolled oats)?
2/3lb black malt

1.5oz willamette (60 min)
1oz cascade (20 min)
1oz cascade (2 min)

white labs liquid irish ale yeast
some Irish moss

Thanks very much for any help. i also have amber crystal malt if it would be beneficial to my recipe?

In my novice opinion that looks good.

You might get away with using 6.6 lbs. of amber extract (instead of the light LME).

You have a question mark next to the oats...do you want an "Oatmeal Stout?"

If you use oats, use the quick or instant variety you find in your local grocery store. Flaked. Put them in the grain bag with your other grains, steep everything as directed by directions that come with your recipe.

Beerific is correct by saying that you should just use 6.6lbs of LME (preferably dark style) unless your Rouge recipe calls for it, then just stick to the recipe.

thanks guys, its a recipe that i was trying to put together myself based on many that i found on different websites. i have rolled oats at home thats why i was wondering if they would work ok.

Based on my experience (and more power to you, brother, if you can make yours a good beer) and what I have read, doing an "Oatmeal" stout is almost pointless unless you're doing at least a partial mash.

Again, just my 2 cents

Good luck, though.

J

I have a very similar beer in my primary right now. I steeped 1/2lb. Chocolate, 1/2lb. 120 crystal, 1/4lb. roasted barley, 1/4lb. black patent, and 3/4lb. Flaked Oats.

Added about 8lbs. of Dark DME and 1lb. Honey.

I bittered with 1oz of Norther Brewer pellets and about 1/4oz of leftover Magnums from a previous batch.
I used 1oz of cascades at 30, 15, 5 and 1/2oz at flameout. I plan on dry hopping another oz of cascades as well. The only problem with buying hops in bulk is that you tend to dump them in for no reason.

I wanted to use WhiteLabs California yeast for this but I needed it for my pale ale so I went with WhiteLabs 10 year aniversary blend. I wanted to stay away from the fruity english/irish stout flavor and I think the slight sulfer character from the California Lager yeast in the blend may clean the character even more. We'll find out.

I may be going a little nuts with the cascades but as far as I'm concerned you can never have too much cascade.

Bottom Line, make what you want to drink, and don't be afraid to experiment. We'd all be drinking american pils if we weren't adventerous.

Oats pretty much have to be mashed. If you just steep them, you might get a little flavor out of them, but mostly starches that won't be broken down. Just do a mini mash, it's not hard at all, and use the instant oats, you'll get the best conversion from those since they're mostly gelatinized already.

I just did my first AG this past weekend, and it is an Oatmeal Stout. One of the reasons I picked that style as my first AG, was I was under the impression the oats had to be mashed. You could probably get away with a partial mash though.

I'd cut the black malt in half. Get 1/2 lb. (250 gm I assume) of 2-row & crush it separately. Cook your rolled oats the way you would for eating. Let it cool to 70C & mix in the 2-row and another liter of 70C water. (your target is 67C) Let it mash for 60 minutes. Drain into pot & rinse with 2 liters of 80C water.

If you can get flaked oats, these are pre-cooked, so you can just mash with the 2-row and 2 liters of 75C water.

well i brewed this on monday as well as brewing a lager. both mini-mashes which was a lot of fun and not as difficult as i thought. it was a looong brew day though and i made an unbelievable mess of the kitchen. i stuck to Papazian's mini mash techniques and was pretty good at keeping the temperatures correct.

the stout is fermenting like crazy at room temperature thanks to a starter that i made and the lager is cold fermenting pretty well too.

heres the final recipe that i used for the oatmeal stout:

Pete's Porridge Oatmeal stout
Fermenting 20 litres (5 gallons +)
Boiled 3gallons

3.3lb Amber LME
1.1lb Dark DME

2.2lb English pale malt grains
1/2lb (or slightly less) chocolate malt
1/2lb (or slightly less) roasted barley
1/2lb black malt
2/3lb rolled oats

1oz cascade (60 min)
1oz willamette (30 min)
1/2oz cascade (15 min)
1/2oz cascade (2 min)

white labs liquid irish ale yeast
some Irish moss

I just heard on basic brewing radio the other day, that if you want to do a good oatmeal stout that you will need to do AG, extract is not a good idea for a oatmeal stout

You don't need AG, but you do need a Partial Mash. The oats need to be mashed with some base malt. Oats don't cannot convert themselves, they need the enzymes from base malt to convert the starches to yummy sugars. You can do an easy PM from the BYO article on it.

Back