New Kegging equip - before 1st use???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocBob

Reaction score
I'm new to kegging my brews (tired of bottling!!!), and had a question regarding new kegging equipment.
I have cleaned the keg itself and have a batch ready to be pressurized. The CO2 tank, regulator, and hoses are all brand new. Do I need to do anything to them before I hook everything up?
I have found a number of sources of info on the cleaning and maintenance of the kegs themselves, but is there a good reference for maintenance/cleaning of the rest of the equipment (hoses, etc.)?
Tanks in advance.

CO2 equipment does not require any maintenance. The gas is pure, water-free & non-corrosive. If a keg backs up into the gas lines, I'd toss the line. If it gets into the regulator, they can be cleaned, but most setups you buy have a checkvalve to prevent this from happening.

Always burp a keg before connecting it, that will prevent 95% of the backups.

I highly reccomend complete disassembly, inspection, cleaning and sanitizing of any keg before you use it. You'd be surprised what's inside those connectors and dip tubes sometimes.

kornkob said:
I highly reccomend complete disassembly, inspection, cleaning and sanitizing of any keg before you use it. You'd be surprised what's inside those connectors and dip tubes sometimes.

I agree, not that it matters! I suggest replacing O rings but that is pretty commonly known and done. The cool thing about stainless is it cleans up nicely and easily.

Actually, as I reread my post I see how this could leave the impression I think O rings should be replaced all the time. Actually, they last a LONG time but need to be checked regularly and replaced as they begin crack and such.

I wish I had taken a picture of the yeast colony I found living in the gas side poppet. It looked like my nephew's snotty nose in winter. If I had let that go to the basement for storage without disassembly..... *shudder*

kornkob said:
I wish I had taken a picture of the yeast colony I found living in the gas side poppet. It looked like my nephew's snotty nose in winter. If I had let that go to the basement for storage without disassembly..... *shudder*

"Honey, what's that noise coming from the... aaahhh!!!"

Latest posts

Back