Home Brew Books

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wernerherzog

Reaction score
Are there any great books on home brewing? I'm looking for something in depth and complicated, not a book with lots of pictures and fun facts.

Thanks,
D

How to Brew is a great book that encompasses a vast majority of brewing from Beginning to advanced. Designing Great Beers is also a staple. Other books like Brew Like A Monk are grear for understanding particular style categories.

Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels. I can't praise this book enough! It de-mystifies recipe creation. Rather than saying "do it like this because I said so," he looks at the recipes of competition-winning homebrews, commercial and historical beers of different styles and shows what they have in common. Very well and clearly written.

Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels. I can't praise this book enough! It de-mystifies recipe creation. Rather than saying "do it like this because I said so," he looks at the recipes of competition-winning homebrews, commercial and historical beers of different styles and shows what they have in common. Very well and clearly written.

I love that book, but it's not a great first book, in my opinion. There's a lot that isn't covered, in terms of basic techniques, because it's assumed that you know them. The Complete Joy of Home Brewing by Papazian or How to Brew by Palmer. I don't have How to Brew, but reading it online, I think it might be a better first book.

In depth + complicated ... probably Designing Great Beers is what you're looking for. Although, you're better off reading a simpler book first to get a solid foundation of knowledge (How to Brew would be great for this).

I still refer to "How to Brew" and "Brewing Classic Styles" all the time. I need to pick up "Designing Great Beers"...

What they all said! If you're looking for a good starter books they have all been listed and they all helped me out quite a bit. If you have a few brews under your belt, I strongly suggest "Extreme Brewing" http://www.amazon.com/dp/1592532934/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It's got a bunch of extract recipes in the back, and so far all of the ones I've brewed have been fantastic! It also has some good ideas for creating brews, and while it covers the basics of brewing briefly, I wouldn't recommend it for a new brewer, but it's still a great book either way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back