Belgian beers...Pilsner malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megaseth

Reaction score
I'm pretty much brewing Belgian style beers only and will be for a while.

My question is what would the difference be if I used german pilsner malt instead of Belgian pilsner malt, since I have free unlimited german pils available to me?

If it won't make any difference, I'll use it.

I was listening to a brewing network show the other day and it was either john palmer or jamil said that there is a definite taste difference between the german and belgian pilsner. If u can get the german for free than maybe switch back and forth between the two. Maybe brew and identical batches and see if you have a preference.

teddy4xp said:
i was listening to a brewing network show the other day and it was either john palmer or jamil said that there is a definite taste difference between the german and belgian pilsner. If u can get the german for free than maybe switch back and forth between the two. Maybe brew and identical batches and see if you have a preference.

+1

Whatever. In a dark strong, even if you could tell the difference, there's no reason why the Belgian malt should make a better beer than the German. For all Belgian styles too I imagine. You could make award winning, fantastic, and to style belgian beers with American domestic malts, pale or lighter I'm confident. You should be showcasing the yeast character and the adjuncts/syrups. Pitch right and maintain a proper ferm temp profile.

Whatever. In a dark strong, even if you could tell the difference, there's no reason why the Belgian malt should make a better beer than the German. For all Belgian styles too I imagine. You could make award winning, fantastic, and to style belgian beers with American domestic malts, pale or lighter I'm confident. You should be showcasing the yeast character and the adjuncts/syrups. Pitch right and maintain a proper ferm temp profile.

Right on. I've brewed a lot of Belgian beers with Belgian, German, and American pilsner. I honestly never noticed a difference, but if you really want to see, try a blonde, pale ale, or tripel with each.

Now I just use American pilsner. Remember, the true spirit of Belgian brewing is using what is available.

I find German Pilsner malt to be a little "crisper" and Belgian pilsner malt a little "fuller/sweeter".

Does it matter? That depends on your taste buds. I'm sure experienced beer drinkers could distinguish between the same beer made with the different base malts, and I'm also sure there are lots of beer drinkers who could not.

If you are brewing for a competition it might matter. If you are a traditionalist, it might matter. Looking for a truly authentic taste it might matter. Brewing for your buddies, probably not.

Free is always good though. You could add just a touch of Vienna to compensate

Somebody might be able to tell the difference...not me...

But I say Brew away,,, Save the recipie,,,,Take notes on the beer.

Brew again someday with Belgian Pilsner...

Review notes and see if you can tell a difference.

I find a slight difference in flavor but as others have said if you're adding a lot of specialty malts or hops on it you're not going to really notice that. Even still, you can make excellent Belgian beers with German pilsner malt.

Latest posts

Back