Measuring Dissolved CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joety

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I force carbonate; generally two days at 30 psi seems to work well. However, I am looking for more precision with different styles of beer, as well as making sure the carbonation levels are maintained in beer I cellar for longer periods. Would the below device work and is it as easy as measuring the pressure to determine how much CO2 is dissolved, such as 5 PSI is 1.0 volumes, 8 PSI is 2.0 volumes, etc.?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/bleeder-valve.html

You have to be sure the keg is at equilibrium. Once you are sure of that, you can use the temperature of the beer and the CO2 pressure to determine the volumes. Use a CO2 volumes chart to find what the volumes are based on the temperature and pressure.

I force carbonate; generally two days at 30 psi seems to work well. However, I am looking for more precision with different styles of beer, as well as making sure the carbonation levels are maintained in beer I cellar for longer periods. Would the below device work and is it as easy as measuring the pressure to determine how much CO2 is dissolved, such as 5 PSI is 1.0 volumes, 8 PSI is 2.0 volumes, etc.?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/bleeder-valve.html

The ability for the CO2 to dissolve in the liquid is greatly effected by the temp.

Have a look at this chart

say you want 2 volumes and the beer is 40F. Set the regulator to 7 PSI. wait 2 weeks for it to equalize and the beer will now have 2 volumes.

I don't think you'd need that extra gauge.

The ability for the CO2 to dissolve in the liquid is greatly effected by the temp.

Have a look at this chart

say you want 2 volumes and the beer is 40F. Set the regulator to 7 PSI. wait 2 weeks for it to equalize and the beer will now have 2 volumes.

I don't think you'd need that extra gauge.

Unfortunately, my beer party is in four weeks and I have at least five or six 5 gallon batches of beer in various secondaries and primaries that need to be carbed. I don't want to "shake carb" them as I heard that can damage head retention, but I will have to do it faster than two weeks a piece.

Unfortunately, my beer party is in four weeks and I have at least five or six 5 gallon batches of beer in various secondaries and primaries that need to be carbed. I don't want to "shake carb" them as I heard that can damage head retention, but I will have to do it faster than two weeks a piece.

Wow that's a lot of beer to blow on one party.

OK you can speed up the process by boosting the pressure to 30 psi for the first 24 hours. Just be careful not to overdo it

Another option would be to naturally carb the kegs with corn sugar. There are numours online spreadsheets for figuring the amounts of sugar for priming a keg.

Back