White House Honey Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vesestilldrumming

Reaction score
Been fermenting this beer for 9 days and it smells like wine/sour smell. Also when I take a big sniff in the fermentation bucket i get a burning sensation in my nose like it is still full of CO2. Is this normal and is this beer still good with that smell?

Yes, you should get a noseful of co2. Think of it a a protective layer of gas on top of your beer that keeps the o2 out.

Im brewing the same but a 1 gallon starter kit...it was an xmas present...would you mind taking a pic of your carboy for me? Ill take one of mine too and post...im not getting any bubbles on top am i supposed to? I do have a ring around the top wherr bubbles might have formed...am i ok?

Like Bobot said, the CO2 burnin the nostrils is normal. The wine/sour smell can be deceiving and is often normal, check the taste when you do a gravity test after about two weeks. It's most likely going to be a great batch!

Mine looks like this... First brew ever... Got some knowledge and learned where I messed up... Ready for 5 gallon brew!!!

ForumRunner_20130108_192433.jpg

pschatz12 said:
Mine looks like this... First brew ever... Got some knowledge and learned where I messed up... Ready for 5 gallon brew!!!

image-2822166974.jpg

Here is mine at the 11 day mark

January 3rd so a full week tomorrow... It says to leave it 2 weeks... Is that what your doing?

pschatz12 said:
January 3rd so a full week tomorrow... It says to leave it 2 weeks... Is that what your doing?

I was gonna leave three weeks and gravity test then. People at the brew shop said honey takes longer to ferment out. So im monitoring it between weeks two and three.

Can you leave it in the fermenter too long? Like if I just leave it 3 weeks can you over ferment lol forgive me for the noobish questiin

Can you leave it in the fermenter too long? Like if I just leave it 3 weeks can you over ferment lol forgive me for the noobish questiin

I leave mine in the fermenter for 3-4 weeks on purpose. Gives the yeast some time to clean up. Especially if you have some honey in there. You can leave it in for too long but how long is too long is argued a lot around here. If I'm making a big beer (> 9% alchy) I'll leave it in the fermenter for 5-6 weeks and transfer to a secondary or just bottle it if I'm feeling lazy.

Even if you don't have a hydrometer, you can still get one and tell if this batch is done. Take a reading and wait a few days. If there is no change, it's done. That being said, I break that rule. I just take a reading at the beginning and at the end. No problems. Good beer.

pschatz12 said:

Supposedly if beer is left around dead yeast too long it will impart bad/off flavors. Havent been brewing long enough to know and Im too impatient to leave beer in a fermenter for more than three weeks.
When fermentation is done, it's done. Thats why you need a hydrometer.

Supposedly if beer is left around dead yeast too long it will impart bad/off flavors. Havent been brewing long enough to know and Im too impatient to leave beer in a fermenter for more than three weeks.
When fermentation is done, it's done. Thats why you need a hydrometer.

It will take quite a while before you get autolysis (3-4 weeks should be fine). This is especially true on a small scale.

Regarding the recipe, I brewed an AG batch using this as my inspiration but bumped up the gravity pretty significantly. During fermentation and while it was green I was worried. The alcohol flavor was pretty strong. It mellowed out in the keg and is pretty good now.

I remember looking into my first brew and then noticing a crack in the fermenter lid and thinking if it looks that weird it has to be infected. Of course now I know it always looks weird and until you bottle it and realize you made a great beer.

Guys I know this is the wrong section but everyone seems so helpful! I'm brewing 5 gallon batch and ordered a 5 gallon better bottle carboy and do not want the airlock to explode! I have read that I should use a blow of tube and also read that a 5 gallon carboy is too small and doesn't allow enough head space inside and I should be using a 6 with an airlock? Can anyone recommend which size carboy and airlock/blowoff tube combo I should use? I don't know if I should call the place I ordered yesterday and change it to a 6 gallon bottle and not 5...thanks for all of the help!!!

While I am brewing this and it is only my second brew I will throw a little advise out there.

I am at day 20 and so far seems so good. Like someone else posted at day 14 when I did my hydro rydro reading the alcohol was strong. I also decided not to add the honey until flame out rather that at 5 min, I can taste the honey, thankfully. As I said I am at day 20 and my hydro has been 1.011 the last two days so I am planning to bottle tomorrow.

If you are doing this beer or are planning to I would recommend either a 6.5 gal carboy or bucket. At day 3 mine blew throught the airlock in a 6.5 gal carboy. Not really a blowover, I didn't really have to cleanup but did have to swap out the airlock since the fermentation filled my first with krauzen.

More to come and good luck to the others brewing this!!

Just bottled this up. Mine turned out darker then I'd hoped even with late add of the extract. I may have scorched it a bit durning the add. Even though I took it off the heat. If i remember right I had a little bit stuck to bottom of the BK. this what it looks like right out of the bottling bucket, my leftovers, nothing goes to waste ( but does go to waist) cheers!

image-2413269026.jpg

I bottled my batch last weekend and I would say that mine looks very very close to yours. I added the honey at flame out as well, I did it with hopes of having more honey in the taste and I think it worked out. I may pop a bottle open today to check the carbonation and see if the alcohol has mellowed at all.

Well then, maybe I was wrong in expecting a lighter color.... Don't know why I was thinking it would be. Does anybody know if any of the commercial breweries make a version of this?? I'd love to have something to compare it to.

One bit of advice on this brew, let it bottle condition for about two months. The flavors just keep getting better. I have two bottles left and its been about 2.5 months since bottling. The alcohol taste is still there which stinks but it turned out to be a good brew. FG was 1.017 for notation and I added the honey at 5 min in the boil. Primary ferm was 18 days, no secondary. If I do it again I will def. do a secondary and add honey around 2 min of the boil. Cheers

I brewed a 1 gallon kit of this I picked up at my hbs..just an experiment I guess, well I jacked up my numbers and ended up doubling the hop additions on accident so I am going to end up with white house honey IPA..lol. I'll let y'all know how it tastes.

I just pieced this recipe together. i changed it up a bit. i'm not going to mix the DME w/ LME I'm just using 7.6lbs of LME to be lazy... can't wait to get this brewed.

I just brewed the porter last night. I used columbus hops for bittering and willamette for aroma rather than the hops used in the recipe. My OG was 1.060 and the yeast is going to town now. It took about 12 hours for fermentation to begin. I hope this turns out good.

Cracked open my first bottle tonight, expecting the carbonation to be low and still have some of the strong alcohol in the smell.

To my surprise this was carbed to the point that I would say its ready, I used 5.5oz of priming sugar. I read somewhere else that they thought the alcohol came through too much and to carb a little more to cut through it, I think it worked. The alcohol has calmed down. The taste, well you can tell it still needs to blend a little bit. Not bad by any means, I could easily sit and drink 2 or 3 and be happy.

Depending on the final turn out this may be a regular for me, at this point in would say it will be in my fall and early spring rotation :)

did you buy the kit, or did you put it together at the brew shop?

I pieced it together at my LHBS because the kit comes with priming sugar that I don't need since I keg. Also I wanted to use the left over hops I had in the freezer.

That is how mine looked too. I brewed it 1/3 and bottled 2 weeks later and opened 1 every other week since. I have 1 left and it will sit a bit. Its good but needs more time to mellow

I brewed a 1 gallon kit of this I picked up at my hbs..just an experiment I guess, well I jacked up my numbers and ended up doubling the hop additions on accident so I am going to end up with white house honey IPA..lol. I'll let y'all know how it tastes.

I bottled this today.. finished out really quick at 1.012 the bit I tasted going into bottles is fantastic! I'm not an IPA fan but this is somewhere in between, I get the hop flavor but not overpowering by any means.. I'm thinking this will be a very quaffable session brew...:rockin:

I'm not an IPA fan, except for a couple that I've found to be ok. With that said doubling the hops in this might not be a bad thing. I had mine in the primary for 3 weeks and as of this past Sunday it was bottled for 2 weeks. It still needs some time to mellow and for the flavors to mesh. One sip you get some booziness, the next you get some of the honey, the next you get some maltiness.

I was hoping this would be another brew and drink, in 5 - 6 weeks, since my Irish Red is almost gone, but I think for this one to be a good smooth beer it's going to need another few weeks or longer. I've still got 46 bottles so I'll keep sampling every week or so until I'm happy with it.

Latest posts

Back