Basic question re: equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiskeySam

Reaction score
Do you segregate equipment used for bacterial beers and non-bacterial beers? I would like to use WL670 farmhouse in a Saison I'm making, but I don't want my next IPA to taste like a sourapple.

Will standard sanitation take care of this issue?

Do you segregate equipment used for bacterial beers and non-bacterial beers? I would like to use WL670 farmhouse in a Saison I'm making, but I don't want my next IPA to taste like a sourapple.

Will standard sanitation take care of this issue?

I don't know for sure, but I'd think it would, if you made sure to soak it really well. Especially if you have glass or SS.

Tubes and hoses keep separate.

Glass is easily cleaned and sanitized, and is ok to switch.

Plastic fermenters are in the fuzzy area. Throuough cleaning and sanitation practices are required to switch use.

Tubes and hoses keep separate.

Glass is easily cleaned and sanitized, and is ok to switch.

Plastic fermenters are in the fuzzy area. Throuough cleaning and sanitation practices are required to switch use.

I agree except I think plastic fermentors go with tubes and hoses. One scratch and it will harbor brett or bacteria you put there. For a long time.

It's a bit of a better-safe-than-sorry question for me. How many hours did I have to work to earn $25 for another bucket and spigot? Versus, how many hours will I spend mashing, brewing, bottling, etc., my next clean beer – hours that are as good as wasted if it gets infected? From that perspective, I find a spare set of plastic looking an awful lot like a no-brainer, although I do still mix 'n match glass carboys.

It's a bit of a better-safe-than-sorry question for me. How many hours did I have to work to earn $25 for another bucket and spigot? Versus, how many hours will I spend mashing, brewing, bottling, etc., my next clean beer – hours that are as good as wasted if it gets infected? From that perspective, I find a spare set of plastic looking an awful lot like a no-brainer, although I do still mix 'n match glass carboys.

That really does make sense....plastic fermenters (even BMB / Better Bottles) are inexpensive enough that you could have several, including some for buggy brews. :)

Back