Low OG Ive learned my Lesson

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigtom17

Reaction score
I started AG about 10 batches ago and for the first time have started measuring the OG. Last batch started at 1.030( measured at pitch) and after 15 days got to 1.020. Now I am wondering if all my beers have been low Alc% the whole damn time. Have learned so much already been reading here for 6 hours. I feel I know where all my mistakes are, from the crush (??) to draining too fast, poor sparging disciplines. I have horribly soft water and sure that has a huge effect as well. One question, what is over sparging? I currently sparge till I get my 12 gallons, regardless of the color. Should I stop and top off with tap water then measure my OG. I am afraid now I will need DME to make up my OG. This last batch was 20lb 2 row, 2lb of xstal, 2lb of cherry smoked british, 1\2lb of roast. Either way after reading some of your imputs here, what a great tool for knowledge. I look forward to reading more post.....

I started AG about 10 batches ago and for the first time have started measuring the OG. Last batch started at 1.030( measured at pitch) and after 15 days got to 1.020. Now I am wondering if all my beers have been low Alc% the whole damn time. Have learned so much already been reading here for 6 hours. I feel I know where all my mistakes are, from the crush (??) to draining too fast, poor sparging disciplines. I have horribly soft water and sure that has a huge effect as well. One question, what is over sparging? I currently sparge till I get my 12 gallons, regardless of the color. Should I stop and top off with tap water then measure my OG. I am afraid now I will need DME to make up my OG. This last batch was 20lb 2 row, 2lb of xstal, 2lb of cherry smoked british, 1\2lb of roast. Either way after reading some of your imputs here, what a great tool for knowledge. I look forward to reading more post.....

I haven't been brewing long, and only AG for 2 weeks now, but 1.030 is extremely low for 24.5 lbs of grain... It doesn't sound like you are mashing correctly. Try a protein rest for 30 or 40 minutes before the saccrification rest to activate the grain. I got a 1.079 reading out of 15lbs of grain in a 6 gallon batch (which also seemed low after using brew calcs) and figured that I was over-sparging, but you should have at least had 1.050+... Are you adding any candy sugar or additional fermentables to your batches?

I would need to know your process before I can make suggestions to correct your process.

More info please.

Bull

If you mash with about 1.5 quarts of water per pound, and you are sure your mash temp is between 150 and 160, and you mash for an hour, you will get about 1.060 for that grain bill.

So, go back and check these things and how you measure them. Check thermometer. Review how you weigh your grain. Double-mill your grain, or buy from somewhere else to ensure it's not just a terrible crush.

While oversparging can cause flavor problems, it will NOT make your OG lower.

Latest posts

Back