Does this need fixing or patience?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See what I did there?

Anyway, I'm trucking away with my first brew, and I'm using this kit
http://brooklynbrewshop.com/beer-making-kits/everyday-ipa-1-gal-kit

12 hours in, and the krausen is out of kontrol (did it again)

Fermenting%2520day%25202.JPG

Normal for an IPA, or do I have some fixing to do? I'm a patient man, so if that's the answer, I'm ready :)

You just got a nice vigorous ferment. That's just fine. But I'd get that tube under a tap & use the water to wash it out right quick. Otherwise,you may wind up with a beercano.

See what I did there?

Anyway, I'm trucking away with my first brew, and I'm using this kit
http://brooklynbrewshop.com/beer-making-kits/everyday-ipa-1-gal-kit

12 hours in, and the krausen is out of kontrol (did it again)

Fermenting%2520day%25202.JPG

Normal for an IPA, or do I have some fixing to do? I'm a patient man, so if that's the answer, I'm ready :)

Hey man...I had the same exact problem with this same exact kit. Luckily, before I brewed this, I went out and bought 3 other "setups" so I could brew more than 1 gallon at a time. So I actually had 3 other blowoff tubes that I was able to substitute in and out (due to them getting clogged). After weathering the storm, I vowed to never let it happen again. So I went out to my LHBS and bought 2 lengths of 1" round tubing. Now, when I add my blowoff tube, I literally dunk one end of the 1" round tubing into hot water and then jam it into the neck of the carboy with no caps or anything. This allows for more blowoff room.

Here's a picture of my new setup as referenced. You may find you want to give this a try so you never have any issues:

-1-2.jpg

What they're getting at is keeping the brew temp down to the yeasts' lower range,negating the nedd for a blow off. It just slows down the yeast a bit much for my liking when it gets down to 60-63F. Then you have to watch for when initial fermentation is done so you can raise the temp a few degrees to be sure it finishes fermenting.

This is normal, dont worry, its the Krausen that has blown up into the blow off tube...no worries (you can clean the tube out if you want but leaving it wont hurt a thing) it still apears that its fermenting away nicely... patience is a brewing virtue.

Yes, this needs fixing in the worst of ways... That batch appears to be of insufficient size, you are going to drink that and then want more.

Groovy tiles ~*~*

Looks ok, aside from the brew size :) . What beer is that?

You probably don't need that much tube. Just a short run into a smaller vessel (A big plastic apple juice bottle from an Alpfenwein brew should do :p).

Back