Apfelwein with brown sugar and left over dry yeast...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I use brown sugar all the time. I know there are people who have used ale yeast but I havn't so I can't tell you what the results would be. Try doing a search for ale yeast in the apfelwein thread. I'm sure someone has posted about it there.

Well after thinking about it, I realized I wanted a proven product so I will duplicate the original recipe post (dextrose 2lbs) and substitute the wine yeast (which was out of stock) with 1 below.

Now, what do you guys think if I pitch the redstar (using 2 packets) for 5 gallons?

Or is 1 packet enough?

Corn Sugar -(5 lbs)
Dry Wine Yeast - Redstar Premier Cuvee (5 g)
Dry Wine Yeast - MT (8 g)

When i make it, i use exactly that of your original post. 2 lbs brown sugar and Nottingham. It's wonderful!!

I used about 7gms of Pastuer and it's fermenting nicely. Looked weird at 12 hours though. All those tiny dry yeast "pellets" swelled up and were suspended in the batch. It looked like the whole thing had gelatinized. :D

I used 1 packet of Premier Cuvee and my Apfelwein came out great. Everything else was per the original recipe.

I have used Brown Sugar and Red Star Montrachet.

On one of my most recent batches, I used Agave Nectar and WLP720 (Sweet Mead Yeast)

Latest posts

Back