Sour Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulBrewer

Reaction score
Hi all, newbie here.

I bottled 10g of Apfelwein last Sunday (2/20), and I have been tasting it since.
It is very clear, very strong, and very acidic; but it tastes a little bit sour. It was a bit sweet when I bottled it, I guest that was the priming sugar.

I am curious if it is supposed to taste like that? Will it smooth out after time?

If your FG was low, then you won't have have many residual sugars to keep it sweeter as they all fermented out. It may be sour due to a an infection, however I imagine that to be a bit unlikely. Next time you may want to use some lactose to ensure unfermentable sugars.

Additionally, you could also try a graff; I enjoy it more than ciders/apfelwein as it tends to be less "hot."

Also, it's only been in bottles a week. Give it at least a few more weeks to condition and carbonate.

@BostonRogue: I have that planned for tonight :)
@bhambrewer: that is a good idea, thanks!
@jbrookeiv: I just cant help it. I am so excited and anxious at the same time.

I've read that excess acid can give a sour flavor. There are methods to reduce the acid post secondary,something about using food/pharm grade gypsum if I remember correctly.

Back