Copper worth chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrostar

Reaction score
I enjoy been using a homemade copper wort chiller for a couple years now. How and do you clean yours? Do you think it's possible to get an off flavor from them? I just keep brewing beer and have this one odd flavor in EVERY batch. It doesn't make my beer bad but definitely doesn't taste commercial. My equipment is very clean and my fermentation temps always controlled as are my mash temps. This has been with force carbonation and bottle conditioning. Also is the same with fresh or washed yeast strains. I find it hard to describe this flavor to you, it's almost always in the finish of the beer. I also filtered my water for my last two batches and still have this flavor... Help me of you have any ideas please.

when I use my immersion chiller, I generally made sure there was nothing on it. Other than that, I put it in the boil for the last 15 min. Sanatized it that way.

What he said, your water. Normal filtering doesn't remove a lot of things. Try buying Reverse Osmosis or Distilled water for your next batch and see how it tastes. As for cleaning my chiller. I spray it down with water when I'm finished and put in the next boil 5 min before it's done.

I always spray it off and put it in ten minutes before boil is done. I'll try RO water this next time. Thanks.

Back