Coopers wheat with fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenchu_11

Reaction score
I love hefenwiezen and i tried a wheat beer with raspberry in it and it was amazing. I want to try and reproduce it but didn't want to bother with steeping and all, I just want to make it a good quality raspberry wheat beer. Has anyone had success using a coopers malt extract wheat beer with fruits? Is there a better tasting wheat beer than cooper's let me know.

if at all possible, try to use a different yeast than coopers. the beer I made with a coopers kit was nearly undrinkable because of the cringe effect produced by the yeast. a good neutral yeast is Danstar Nottingham, or if you want to get a real german hefeweizen yeast flavour you may want to consider liquid yeast.

also if you add fruit to a beer you may need to add some more acid to make the fruit taste natural. you can use wine makers acid or even lactic acid to make it taste better. beer with fruit and no acid doesn't taste like fruit at all.

Have you ever used Oregon puree? In a can thinking of adding it straight to my primary to ferment. I've read people say "I add it to my seconday" why not just let it ferment with the must in the primary? Do you recommend pectin enzyme to keep fruit beers from being cloudy? I know its used in wine

I've got a blueberry wheat gong right now. Its sitting in secondary now. I used the Oregon puree. I added it to the fermenter at about 3 days info fermentaion. I was told to let this one sit in the secondary for about a month longer than usual, if not you will get a wine like flavor, not really beer. After all, fruit make wine, and wheat makes beer. It will also ferment down pretty low. Mine got to 1.010. Most wines will ferment below 1.00, so I think using the fruit is why this happens.......
As far as the pectin enzyme, you making a wheat beer, so expect it to be cloudy anyway...

Good luck

I add all my fruits in the secondary, I also use all fresh fruit and make my own puree (This a personal choice), I also add at least one fresh lemon to all my wheat beers in the last 5 mins of boil. I find it brings the flavor out.

I use a wheat kit from one of the vendors that supports this site as my base and just add whatever flavor I want.

Back