will this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewScout

Reaction score
I've had a wit in primary for a month now and it still has a sulfur smell and taste. I was planning on bottling tonight. Will the sulpher condition out while in the bottle, or should I secondary. If that is the case I need another secondary because mine is now full of 2 week old apfelwein! Yum!

Ferment at 65 - 68 first 1.5 Weeks
Rest at 68 - 70 for 2.5 Weeks
Used WLP400

Saw this on the White Labs site:

"Be patient ... "
By: whargoul
Date: March 12, 2009
Beers brewed: Wit Bier
Comments: Be patient with this strain. As other reviewers have stated stirring will help move it along in the fermenter, but it still needs to age. 3 weeks after bottling the beer still had strong sulfur smell (although it was delicious). It took another month of aging before the sulfur subsided, and the beer had much more character as well.

A lot of folks said they roused this yeast quite a bit also, you might try that to help drive off some of the sulfur.

But would stirring up the yeast after 1 month be a good idea our should I just bottle and forget about it for 1.5 - 2 months?

Stirring it and warming it up should help.

In the future use wyeast belgian witbier, it produces really nice esters and phenols and is drinkable after a couple weeks grain to glass.

Should I stir all the trub off the bottom or just lightly run utensil over top of yeast cake? I can't find a thread on this.

Back