Imperial and IPA question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RWeather3

Reaction score
Here's a beginner question. What makes an imperial an imperial? Is it just the abv? can it be any style? Also when someone says they love IPA's I never know if that means India pale ale or Imperial pale ale. I know these are very basic questions but thanks for your patience and you replies.

Yeah, imperial basically means a higher ABV, and a bigger bear in general. In the case of an IPA it will require more malt to get the higher ABV and a lot more hops to balance it out. If you see IPA, its just that...an IPA. If you see IIPA or DIAP, that is your imperial or double IPA. And yes it can be other styles as well such as an imperial stout. I just had Deschuttes Abyss Imperial Stout last night and it was delicious!

Sounds like it's time to do some research, RWeather3. Believe me, you've never enjoyed homework like you'll enjoy this assignment. Find a good package store that lets you pick and choose a 6-pack. Where I live, we have Binny's and World Market, which have a big selection (especially Binny's), and let you buy singles. Then - start answering your own questions!

Research is fun. Cheers!

The original "Imperial" beer was the Russian Imperial Stout - named after the Russian Empire for which it was brewed. The fact that it was higher in ABV really had nothing to do with the name, but, as you've seen, at some point folks began associating Imperial with the Stout and not with the Russian and so "Imperial" has come to be synonymous with "higher than normal ABV" or maybe "bolder overall than normal for the style". So now there are Imperial Porters, Imperial Red ales, Imperial India Pale Ales, Imperial Hefeweizens, etc. etc.

Yea, I've never heard of an Imperial Pale Ale- not sure there is such a thing, definitely not a BJCP style. If your friends like IPAs, they are talking about India Pale Ales (not indian pale ales). Imperial IPA/ double IPA/ IIPA are used interchangeably- they are the same thing.

Back