Champagne Style Hard Cider recipe wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doveguy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Please help me find a recipe that will produce a champagne style cider. I have access to a wide variety of apple juices from fresh pressed apples and am looking for apple species combinations, yeast recommendations and additives or yeast nutrients that will get me the special tiny bubble light champagne feel that I am going for. Thanks for your help.

Mark

I have made a cyser that is champaign like. 5 gallons cider, 3 pounds honey. Dissolve the honey in one of the gallons over low heat. I pitched a packet of Lavin champaign yeast.

Bottled about 2 months later (gravity was basically 1.000) ABV was in the 8-9% range IIRC.

I think it was best after at least 3 months in the bottle.

I got the recipe from "The Homebrewer's Garden" book.

I use store bought apple juice(as there are no fresh/cider apples at reasonable prices), So I cannot help you out with apple types. I use Red Star Champagne Yeast, which tend to give an easy 10% alcohol content, and nice bubbly if properly primed. The thing I notice, is that the 'cider' isn't that light when I get it up in that 10% range. I also always add general yeast nutrients, as I'd like not to deal with rino farts if I can keep from it.

I felt I needed to contribute to this thread since I've seen it several times while doing research for a cider champagne of my own.

I've always wanted to do a champagne style cider, but every time I've added sugar, honey, or syrup to increase the abv (cyser style) it has always decreased the amount of flavor present from the apples.

I just started a 6 gallon batch which should end up around 12% by using all natural ingredients.

I cryoextracted 12 gallons of local Montana pressed cider down to just under 6 gallons (by this, I froze 6 gallons in each of 2 6.5 gallon PETs in my deep freezer then thawed each upside down to extract the sugars only until I reached a volume of 3 gallons from each which left mostly water and the wild yeast suspended in the frozen leftovers). This doubled the original 10-11 brix to 21 brix (my measurement). I had read about the Quebec Ice Cider style and figured Id do something like that only aim for a lower initial brix so I could ferment dry and bottle condition to a champagne bubbly, and at $7 a gallon concentrated down to cost $14 per gallon just in cider is a little too much as it is.

I'm also planning on priming with a gallon of cider extracted down to half a gallon - so it doesn't dilute my final percentage and because my calculations have a gallon of cider containing approximately the right about of fementables to get 6 volumes out of each bottle.

Im also going to disgorge each of my bottles the traditional way according to a youtube DIY video I found.

I just started fermenting this with some Cote de Blanc yeast from Red Star (supposedly leaves more fruit characteristics) and am really excited because all of the apple flavor and alcohol will be from natural ingredients and not added artificial fermentables. Ill admit to using a little pectic enzyme for a crystal clear product and some yeast nutrient to help the yeast in the high- sugar environment.

Also thinking about racking onto 2 ounces of medium toast american oak soaked in a little local Missoula Montana rye whiskey to add some more prohibition inspired american complexity. (Rye whiskey and Hard Ciders have a very interesting history to me because they both dwindled to almost extinction after prohibition and are both making a more recent come-back to popularity. The combination of the two in a tasty celebratory drink seems very patriotic to me)

Ill have to let you all know how it turns out when it's done. It was a little pricey to start and will end up costing me $4-5 per bottle but should be a very drinkable flavorful cider. I am very excited about this one.

I felt I needed to contribute to this thread since I've seen it several times while doing research for a cider champagne of my own.

I've always wanted to do a champagne style cider, but every time I've added sugar, honey, or syrup to increase the abv (cyser style) it has always decreased the amount of flavor present from the apples.

I just started a 6 gallon batch which should end up around 12% by using all natural ingredients.

I cryoextracted 12 gallons of local Montana pressed cider down to just under 6 gallons (by this, I froze 6 gallons in each of 2 6.5 gallon PETs in my deep freezer then thawed each upside down to extract the sugars only until I reached a volume of 3 gallons from each which left mostly water and the wild yeast suspended in the frozen leftovers). This doubled the original 10-11 brix to 21 brix (my measurement). I had read about the Quebec Ice Cider style and figured Id do something like that only aim for a lower initial brix so I could ferment dry and bottle condition to a champagne bubbly, and at $7 a gallon concentrated down to cost $14 per gallon just in cider is a little too much as it is.

I'm also planning on priming with a gallon of cider extracted down to half a gallon - so it doesn't dilute my final percentage and because my calculations have a gallon of cider containing approximately the right about of fementables to get 6 volumes out of each bottle.

Im also going to disgorge each of my bottles the traditional way according to a youtube DIY video I found.

I just started fermenting this with some Cote de Blanc yeast from Red Star (supposedly leaves more fruit characteristics) and am really excited because all of the apple flavor and alcohol will be from natural ingredients and not added artificial fermentables. Ill admit to using a little pectic enzyme for a crystal clear product and some yeast nutrient to help the yeast in the high- sugar environment.

Also thinking about racking onto 2 ounces of medium toast american oak soaked in a little local Missoula Montana rye whiskey to add some more prohibition inspired american complexity. (Rye whiskey and Hard Ciders have a very interesting history to me because they both dwindled to almost extinction after prohibition and are both making a more recent come-back to popularity. The combination of the two in a tasty celebratory drink seems very patriotic to me)

Ill have to let you all know how it turns out when it's done. It was a little pricey to start and will end up costing me $4-5 per bottle but should be a very drinkable flavorful cider. I am very excited about this one.

Any updates?

I have ready some champagne style cider that is ready to drink (or give away ask gifts) right now. It was 2 gallons cider, 2 lbs dextrose, primed with 2 oz of sugar for bottling.

Back