Remember John Courage beer? Got a recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fritish

Reaction score
I've been a fan of John Courage and drank it when I could. I was extremely disappointed when I found that it disappeared from the American beer market some time ago. I've not been able to find that beer in what feels like a very long time (early 2007-ish). Does anyone remember this beer?

Has anyone here ever cloned it? Does anyone have any recipes?
I'd love to hear some feedback if anyone has any.

One of the local bars used to carry it.

I drank it quite often.

Just so I could say...

"Bartender, another bottle of courage please!"

A local pub had it on tap. Wonderful beer, and I miss it. Look forward to anyone coming up with a clone :)

-JOe

I used to drink it a few years ago - it is no longer available in the US??

I haven't seen it since late 2006/early 2007. If it is available I would love to know where someone has seen it. Best I can tell, the distribution was discontinued because the parent company, Scottish & Newcastle, Ltd, wanted to remove beers that could compete with Newcastle. I don't really have much evidence except some old discussion boards to back that up. Today, I can't even find a homepage for this beer. I don't even see it on the Scottish & Newcastle website.

Actually I thought I saw it here in Indy about 6 months ago - could have been old stock I guess. That's why I was so surprised at your post. After poking around the web it does indeed seem to be pulled from the US... bummer

Not yet. I moved recently and had to pack up most of my brewing equipment. I unfortunately won't get around to brewing for probably another month or so. I'll report back if I do brew it.

Latest posts

Back