Fermenting in a 80º house?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer_Me_13x

Reaction score
I just ordered my Dad a brew kit from NB for a retirement gift & I have one concern...the old man keeps his house 80º. I know this is pushing the limits for bad things to start happening, so I wanted to see what you guys thought.

He has a spare fridge that he is keeping just for beer stuff. Is it possible to get a fridge up to 65º or so? I am thinking he could put the fridge on a timer & fool with it until it stays in the correct range.

But if he didn't have to use the fridge that would be great.

TIA for the advice!
:mug:

If he has an extra fridge he could use this for the best results. It goes all the way to 80 degrees.

Buy one of these at Walmart or Sears Hardware...about $11.00
Fermenter_Cooler1.jpg

Cut out the top. A carboy will fit perfectly.
Fermenter_Cooler3.jpg

Drop in your fermenter and wrap a t-shirt around it and fill the container with cold water. The shirt will wick up the water and if you place a small fan on the t-shirt, the evaporation effect will cause the t-shirt to cool and keep your fermenting beer 7-8 degrees cooler than ambient.
Fermenter_Cooler4.jpg

Just have him make a belgian style ale - use Wyeast 1388 up to 80F
Or use American Ale Wyeast 1056 at just above the range (upper range 77F)

So i.e. use a more heat tolerant yeast (the product will be more estery fruity though)

Or use one of these:

100_3731.jpg

100_3730.jpg

Cube cooler with a custom styrofoam lid. Put some water inside and keep it cold with ice or frozen water bottles.

If his house is a constant 80, there will be a cold spot somewhere that is a constantish 65 or so. you just need to find it.

Back