Bottom drain - encapsulated SS kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samc

Reaction score
Thinking of putting in a bottom drain on my SS kettle that has an encapsulated bottom layer. Can't think of how to do this easily. Silver solder a coupling would be ok except I don't have any way to drill the correct size hole that large. Also thought about threading in a 1/2" nipple but don't have a tap/die set for SS, nor do I have the drill bits for that either.

Any good options or should I just stick with the easy side set up?

Sounds like a recipe for disaster IMO. I would be concerned that moisture may infiltrate the encapsulated space and if that were to happen, an explosion could occur when heat is applied to the kettle. Might not be an issue if the connection were properly welded and completely sealed, but there would likely be no warning of an impending blast if not. I would stick with the easy and safer side port, but that's just me.

I've thought about this too...in your case, you'll need to get a 1/2" bit. Drill a small pilot hole and be sure to lubricate frequently and use pressure. Then file out the hole just enough to pound a full coupler in...making it just below flush. Then follow the directions for flux/solder/heat in the soldering stainless steel thread. If you're worried about an explosion, make some small holes that penetrate just through the stainless layer into the copper/aluminum layer. Oftentimes there's already a small gap or tracts in the metal layers.....if it were completely sealed, all sandwich bottom pots would explode.

Explosion? Hadn't thought of that.

And if I do proceed - 1/2" bit isn't going to get me anywhere with a coupler that is 1.0625 in OD.

Explosion? Hadn't thought of that.

And if I do proceed - 1/2" bit isn't going to get me anywhere with a coupler that is 1.0625 in OD.

There's probably nothing to worry about, but if it did happen it would be a major bummer. Apparently you have a very nice and probably a very expensive kettle. I would not risk screwing it up by drilling through the clad bottom. Side ports work just fine. I've been using a side port MT for going on ten years and see no real advantage in going a different route.

Back