Kettle not draining below valve level

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarponteaser

Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving to all!
I decided to set up a 20 qt ss stockpot for extract brewing for days I don't have time for all grain ( and the fact that local brew supply store closed so no source for grain in town).
Used a 7/8 inch hole saw and have a leakless valve installation, but the downtube is not getting me to the bottom of the pot. I can tilt the pot and get flow once the inner coupling is covered, but prefer not having to do so. I removed and replaced several times, added teflon tape....and another layer of teflon tape with no luck. Any insight is appreciated.
Regards

My downtube is about 1/8" above the bottom of the pot. I also tilt the kettle toward the end, but no matter what I do, I'll always leave at least something in the bottom of the kettle.

If you've whirlpooled prior to draining, you don't want to get everything as it'll also take break material, hop residue, and the like. It's just part of the losses in the system, and something to plan for.

The only alternative (besides tipping the kettle) I know of is a different kettle system with a bottom drain. But then, you're also draining the crap which a lot of people try to avoid. You always get some, but I try to limit it.

YMMV, this is void in states where it's void, and as always, this is my 2 cents.

Connect a couple of feet of tubing to your valve outlet, then repeat your draining test again...,

Cheers!
I'll try that. Had merely placed pot in utility sink to fill with water for leak test. I'll take it out to back patio and test on the table I'll be brewing on via induction plate. Thanks

It will make the difference you seek.
If you look at your valve installation "from the side" it should be evident there is a point where liquid has to "flow up hill" to get through the valve. The tubing will provide the siphon effect to make that all work...

Cheers!

It will make the difference you seek.
If you look at your valve installation "from the side" it should be evident there is a point where liquid has to "flow up hill" to get through the valve. The tubing will provide the siphon effect to make that all work...

Cheers!
Worked like a charm, thanks again

Back