Funny (hopefully not beer-ruining) accident

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikesway

Reaction score
My brother and I just decided to get into the hobby. Starting our first batch last night, we were very careful to sanitize everything. Just before putting the lid on our fermenting bucket, I noticed that I didn't see my 2 year-old nephew. I walked around the corner to see him putting his hands inside the bucket. I pulled him away instantly. I noticed that we had some foam at the top of the wort. His hands were only touching foam. He never submerged his hands. (this was just before we added yeast) So we are hoping that our first batch isn't ruined. I gues time will tell.

:drunk: If his hands are anything like my 2 year old's hands, you should have a nice pellicle on top in no time. Just kidding. It will probably be fine but if not, at least you know why? :)

Reminds me of the french comic "Asterix and Obelix". Obelix fell into the village druid's special "brew" when he was a kid which gave them "special" powers for the rest of his life ;-)

should be fine. i've seen a few posts here that the brewer says they dropped something in the bucket and quickly dunked their unsanitized hand all the way to the bottom to pick it out before they had time to realize what they had done. they all turned out fine. if you get really worried, do a search on "did i ruin my beer" you'll see a thousand threads that say a thousand different things and really just a few of them actually have anything to worry about.

should be fine. i've seen a few posts here that the brewer says they dropped something in the bucket and quickly dunked their unsanitized hand all the way to the bottom to pick it out before they had time to realize what they had done. they all turned out fine. if you get really worried, do a search on "did i ruin my beer" you'll see a thousand threads that say a thousand different things and really just a few of them actually have anything to worry about.

I did this and the beer was great. You'll be fine.

I'm mikesway's bro, and it was my son's hands that went into the wort. If it turns out really good, he will have to put his hands in the next batch to duplicate the recipe. hehe

The problem you're going to have is when the beer turns our great and you try to repeat it by putting in "4 seconds of toddler hand"

Reminds me of those recipes that call for "eye of newt, four dragon teeth..." It'll become the tradition now, perhaps you'll get a new awesome yeast culture!

Alamo Drafthouse here in Austin does a Guinness milkshake is good, but they used to do a Makesson milkshake that was even better.

in a few years when replicating the recipe for the 27th time, you'll need a new toddler's hand to dunk as this toddler wont be a toddler anymore.

Back