Keggle seals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nimrod3388

Reaction score
I took it upon myself to add a spigot to my kettle for a sparge setup. What seals should I use to provide a high temp seal? I dont want the o-rings melting in the water or on the outside.

A little off topic but I have to ask. What about the plain black seals you get at the hardware store. The type that you use for plumbing around the house. Would they fail? Has anyone used them and had them fail?

I tried the traditional hose o-rings and around 150F a light smoke began to come up through the water and steam. I believe the black ones will do the same. They didnt melt but the smell was like burning plastic.

The need for a high temp ring is obvious, but what about the outside seal? Do flames lapping over the side of the kettle melt even silicone? Should you only use one on the inside? The kits look like they have one on both sides.

bulkhead.jpg

AnOldUR said:
The need for a high temp ring is obvious, but what about the outside seal? QUOTE]

I was using a regular black for my MLT not boil kettle. This should be ok right? Not meaning to hijack thread

Why do some posts not allow editing??

*But this one did*
Is it anything along the lines of posts created before the update can't be edited and after can?

The need for a high temp ring is obvious, but what about the outside seal? Do flames lapping over the side of the kettle melt even silicone? Should you only use one on the inside? The kits look like they have one on both sides.
I use a weldless kit from bargain fittings, and it does have silicone O-rings both inside and out, and no, the outside one does not melt. I think I'm even a rather extreme example of how safe they are, because not only do I use a 185K BTU banjo burner, but during the colder months I also use an aluminum heat shield surrounding the whole burner/keggle which greatly concentrates the heat around the keggle sides. It was enough to melt the crap out of the plastic grip on the valve handle, but the O-rings are untouched.

Are there any problems using the brass locknut, ball valve, and barb fitting on the stainless keggle? I know a lot of you are using SS for every component; I don't want to end up having to re-order all stainless. But I would rather save a little bit and just get brass for the other parts if it works just as well.

Are there any problems using the brass locknut, ball valve, and barb fitting on the stainless keggle? I know a lot of you are using SS for every component; I don't want to end up having to re-order all stainless. But I would rather save a little bit and just get brass for the other parts if it works just as well.
Plenty of people do use brass, myself included.

Latest posts

Back