What kind of beer is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldtagtrip

Reaction score
hi there,

i was going to brew a bock with california lager yeast but there wasnt any available so i got wyeast irish ale instead. im going to use a triple decoction that i was going to use with the bock recipe to enphasize maltyness and also to learn. i am also going to oak it in the primary with 1.5 oz hungarian medium oak. the recipe is.

4 bohemian pilsner
3 vienna
3 light munich(10l)
4 dark munich(30)
0.25 special B

0.5 mt hood fwh
0.25 magnum 60
0.75 mt hood 60
0.75 mt hood 10
0.25 magnum 5

OG: 1072
ibu: 42
batch siz: 5.5 gallons

i also got some caramel 75 available but not sure if i should use it since i have a triple decocction on the way.
hope some one can tell me what this is and also comment if there is something there that could not work. thank you.

This beer will fit no style perfectly. By the numbers, it fits into the Old Ale style more than anything else. However you are using Bohemian and German ingredients rather than English.

I do have a comment on the hopping schedule. It's overly complex. A late addition of Magnum seems a bit odd. Personally I think you'll get almost exactly the same results with a blend of Magnum and Mt. Hood used at FWH or at 60 minutes, and eliminate all other additions. You'll save on hops and really won't be able to taste a difference. You can probably do like 1 oz Mt. Hood and 0.5 oz Magnum at FWH and call it good. Save some money, or save some hops for next time.

Looks like a tasty beer anyway, whatever it's called. Cheers.

Thank you very much for your reply, i can now brew it in peace lol. I really apreciate it.

Latest posts

Back