big jump in efficiency...huh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KraphtBier

Reaction score
I've been brewing with the same equipment for the last year (7.5 gal BK, 10 gal MLT, batch sparge). The only thing I've changed is using aluminum foil to cover the mash for 5-6 gal batches to reduce heat loss. Today I attempted the CYBI recipe for mirror pond. I used the same amount by weight as needed (assuming my usual 72% eff.) for the stated 1.053 OG, except I ended up with a post boil gravity of 1.064 for a 5.5 gallon batch. WTF! I wouldn't normally be upset about better eff. but I wasn't really planning on this being that big. I was hoping for a summer sipper, now I've got something that will be a one and done. Anyone have any insight as to why this may have happened?

Crush shouldn't be a factor, I've used the LHBS crush for the last six batches. I did change from Weyermann Pale Ale Malt to Rahr 2-row for this batch. That could be it but I still don't know if that would make that big of a difference

Crush shouldn't be a factor, I've used the LHBS crush for the last six batches. I did change from Weyermann Pale Ale Malt to Rahr 2-row for this batch. That could be it but I still don't know if that would make that big of a difference

Crush most certainly matters.

I started buying about a pound less per batch (on average) last year when LHBS tightened up the crush because I was getting higher efficiency than I ever got before. And this is constant. I've had a 5% boost (again, on average) in efficiency on all my subsequent brews.

Bah, summer beers, make you feel fine! Just drink a few more and you won't mind. I've got a few beers I made for the summer that are between 6-11% ABV...sometimes everyone needs that punch..mm yeah

dbhokie said:
Bah, summer beers, make you feel fine! Just drink a few more and you won't mind. I've got a few beers I made for the summer that are between 6-11% ABV...sometimes everyone needs that punch..mm yeah

Now I have Seals and Crofts stuck in my head with no MP3 player for remedy.

I say crushed matters. Before I let the store crush the grains, not i have my on grain crusher which jumped the efficiency almost 10%. Which surprised me but i'm very thrilled that my efficiency is going up.

evandena said:
Now I have Seals and Crofts stuck in my head with no MP3 player for remedy.

Rolling through the barley in my miiiiind. Wew wew wewwew wewwew.

Also, why not listen to it on youtube?

I'm not sure 11 points on OG turns a summer sipper to a one and done. Unless you planned to sip 1.3 beers and now are only able to have one.

Beer...you make my liver quiver

I've got a 10.2 Belgian golden that I'm drinking now, it's a great summer beer, it's just the rows in my garden are a bit crooked, and all the women I meet whilst drinking it are strikingly attractive

For the record, I'm not saying crush doesn't matter. I'm saying that the crush didn't change. All six batches were crushed in the same mill, I'll ask if they adjusted the mill but I don't think they did.

Back