Recipe Critique, Please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corwin3083

Reaction score
2 gallon batch:

1.5# Pilsner LME - after boil
1.5# Wheat LME - after boil

.25oz Galena - 60 min
.25oz Galena - 20 min
.25oz Galena - 10 min

What I'm having trouble deciding on is a yeast. I've really liked WLP029 Kolsch before, but I've recently been given a minifridge that opens up the possibility of lagering, since my 2-gallon fermenter fits inside of it. So, what do you think of the possibility of using WLP800 Pilsner Lager yeast, instead?

2 gallon batch:

1.5# Pilsner LME - after boil
1.5# Wheat LME - after boil

.25oz Galena - 60 min
.25oz Galena - 20 min
.25oz Galena - 10 min

What I'm having trouble deciding on is a yeast. I've really liked WLP029 Kolsch before, but I've recently been given a minifridge that opens up the possibility of lagering, since my 2-gallon fermenter fits inside of it. So, what do you think of the possibility of using WLP800 Pilsner Lager yeast, instead?
If you boil hops in JUST water they will not have near the affect. Maybe boil with the Pilsner LME and add the Wheat LME afterwards.

I do a lot of small batches (0.75-3 gallons) and this look good. A 1.054 OG and 1.014 FG with a 50 in bitterness should get you a nice wheat beer around 5.2% ABV.

As for yeast, if you want a traditional Wheat profile …
WLP320 American Hefeweizen Ale Yeast
and
WLP351 Bavarian Weizen Yeast
These are more for the Wheat style brews your ingredients call for.

Not to say you cannot get a good Wheat beer with WLP029 or the WLP800. I used WPL001 California Ale on my last wheat beer and it is YUMMY. (I just do not care for Bananas in my beer.)

Also the WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Ale Yeast might be more to your liking.
From the White Labs site…
Large clove and phenolic aroma and flavor, with minimal banana. Refreshing citrus and apricot notes.

I have not noticed any Wheat style yeast that use lager temps.

Here is the Homebrew yeast page from White Labs. Look it over and maybe you can find one YOU like.

White Labs

You can ferment kolsch at the very bottom of the recommended temp range (55 ish if i recall), and when that is complete lager it for 4 weeks. It turns out quite good. Very versatile yeast.

I do not want a Hefe yeast for this recipe. I have used Hefe yeast in other recipes. It's wonderful. I have also used Kolsch. It too is wonderful. Anyone used the Pilsner lager yeast? How is it?

Back