Help with cond/carb temp - ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpiper

Reaction score
I've got 5.5 gallons finishing fermentation with Nottingham yeast. I've kept temps at 65-68 using water and frozen bottles.

Once I've bottled it though, if I leave it in my closet it will be 72-76 which is higher than the stated range for the yeast. I'm wondering how this will effect things? First time I've used this yeast.

I suppose I could submerge all of the bottles in water for the next 3-4 weeks and keep temperature that way - will be a PIA though. But I'll do it if necessary. Any thoughts/ideas? Beer is American Red style, nothing huge. Thanks.

The temp range given on most yeasts isn't the temps they will function at, but the ranges they will ferment at without giving you off flavors. Most of the time, you can go 5 degrees in either direction and still be fine. You'll get fruity flavors in the higher temp range, but it'll still make beer.

Either way, your beer is done fermenting, so at this point, you don't need the yeast to be at optimum temps. What little amount of fementation that happens because of priming sugar isn't enough to create off flavors. 72-76 is perfectly fine for conditioning and carbing bottles. In fact, they will probably carb faster at that temp. I'd still let them sit for at least 4 weeks before drinking them though.

Thanks Suthrn. I COULD leave it in the primary for one more week at the lower temp. but it's not convenient. It sounds like it wouldn't make much flavor difference though.

It will only be 2 weeks (and I normally like 3), but definitely done fermenting - checked FG today and stopped bubbling a week ago. It's just that next week will be really tough to get bottling time in - but I'd do it if there would be a noticeable flavor improvement. But if any flavor change would be negligible, I'll go ahead and bottle Friday and let the carb/cond happen at the higher temps.

Any other feedback from anyone?

I would let it sit in primary for another week or two. You'd be suprised how much an extra few weeks of bulk "conditioning" can improve your beer. The clarity and the flavor will improve. I'm just saying that from a bottling point...temps don't matter if it's in the 70's.

Bulk conditioning, in my experience, works faster than bottle conditioning. If a beer takes a month in bottles after being carbed to taste right, the same beer will often be perfect right after carbonation if you leave it an extra week or two in the fermenter.

+1 on warmer temps for carbonation. Once it's carbed, you can cellar it at a lower temp. Throwing them all in the fridge will slow conditioning, but putting them in a cool spot in the house is good for longer term storage.

Hmm, yeah, your probably right. Why rush good beer. It will be tough, but I'll just make a way to bottle on the 11th. The original plan was to primary for 3 weeks for all those stated benefits anyway, so I'll just stick to it.

Good to know that I don't have to worry about the temps during carbing/conditioning though.

Hoping this one comes out well. So far the readings have been spot on - the OG and FG. In fact FG even a little lower than QBrew predicted (1.019 vs. 1.021 - temperature adjusted). Nottingham yeast worked well and only bubbled for maybe 3 days. Hydro sample wasn't bad, though it didn't have the carmel flavors I was hoping for - hoping those will show up later.

Back