drying IC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillonks1

Reaction score
Hey,

I made a 25' IC today and used it. May I say they are awesome, 220 degree wort to 78 in 14.5 mins.

Now how do I dry my coil and vinyl tubing out?

I used the search option and I either am.not using the proper keywords or there is nothing on drying the coil out.

Any tips would be appreciated

Thanks

I could try that. I was thinking about buying one of those miniature air compressors from brookstone...

I blow it out with my air compressor. Take the vinyl hose off one end or it can fly around and wack ya. Cheers:)

You don't really need to dry it. It's just water running through it after all. I just hang mine upside down and most of the water drains out of it. Other than that, it doesn't need to be dry inside.

I don't dry mine out. BUT, if you live in the Northern climates, (I see the OP doesn't have to worry about it), if you leave it in the garage and allow it to freeze, you will be in the market for another IC. I drain mine completely, and the little bitty bit of water left in there can split it like nothing. Don't ask me how I know this.

Same here. I hose off the little bits of Irish moss and other gunk, pour most of the water out and then set it on a towel for a while and let it air dry.

I've got an unfinished laundry room in my basement and attached a plastic hook to one of the ceiling joists and just let it hang to dry. I let the tubing hang over a pail to catch the drips. Has worked well so far!

I don't dry mine out. BUT, if you live in the Northern climates, (I see the OP doesn't have to worry about it), if you leave it in the garage and allow it to freeze, you will be in the market for another IC. I drain mine completely, and the little bitty bit of water left in there can split it like nothing. Don't ask me how I know this.

I'm in the northeast and leave mine in the garage - I just hold it upside down so that all the water drains out and then hang it upside down for storage. No issues with this procedure since I got the IC a couple of years ago.

I do blow mine out when I disconnect the water line from it, using my own lungs, but just to clear the bulk of the water. I leave plenty extra water sitting in there between sessions and no worries.

I hang it upside down for a few minutes. Most of the water drains out. It gets stored in the unheated portion of my basement (which is below my bedroom, so it stays above freezing.). Not too worried about cleaning the inside, just a quick scrub on the outside.

I do blow mine out when I disconnect the water line from it, using my own lungs, but just to clear the bulk of the water. I leave plenty extra water sitting in there between sessions and no worries.

I do the same, but was trying to find the right words to avoid the "giving your IC a BJ" jokes...

I let mine air dry after a rinse with tap water once, and the next time I used it black crap came out, presumably mildew. If your final rinse is with sanitizer, I'm sure that would not happen.

Now, I run warm pbw/oxyclean for a few minutes, rinse with water, shoot a couple ear plugs through it with the air compressor, then blast air through it until dry. The next time I use it I shoot another ear plug to check for mildew, then soak in sanitizer fed from my bottling bucket. Yes i'm paranoid.

Also, ear plugs shoot across the house, and it's fun for the kid in you. Don't shoot your wife in the butt... More than once.

Thanks everyone, I just didn't know if leaving small droplets of water could cause an issue over time.

Mine is 25 ft. stainless and its 24F outside now. I won't ask, I figured this out last Jan. when it stuck to my wet fingures at -10F;) It was still full when I took it inside to thaw. Cheers:mug:

I'm glad I remembered this thread, my two ICs were in a rubbermaid tub out back and nearly encased in a solid block of ice. Near miss!

I've been hosing mine off and holding upside down to get the water off for years. No problem. BTW - please share how you get water to boil at 220F;)

Back