irish lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kyoshi, I want to help you make better beer.
Please do the following:
1. Go to this website and either buy the book, How to Brew, and/or read everything in this website: http://howtobrew.com/. The information here will help you understand the basics of brewing beer.
2. Spend an extra few bucks and buy an extract kit from a reputable vendor online. If you are looking to make an American style lager like Budweiser or Coors, you should buy this kit: http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/american-lager-extract-kit-2.html
You will need to make some extra steps using this kit, but you will get all of the necessary ingredients to make great beer.
3. If you want it to be easy and just make beer you can drink, I would recommend a Coopers or Muntons kit: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/american-style-light-beer-hopped-malt-extract.html This is a beginners kit and reputable.
4. When you post questions on this forum you need to tell us EVERY! Any details helps us make sure we give good advice.

Get the Norther Brewer Kit. It'll be easy & great tasting.

Yeah, but we also assume you have some brains and know how to use them... Plus, read the stickies and such... Oh, and have at least read one GOOD home brewing book (or at the very least own one you're reading)...

Listen, the guy is a pain in the ass but you shouldn't put him down on the forum. Instead of yelling at him that using pre-hopped kits is stupid and then going on about how you have been brewing for years and it makes you far-superior doesn't help the situation at all. It makes you look like a ****** bag and it makes it seem like all of us are like you.

You should be trying to encourage him and support him. Or just stop posting.

^
^
+1 dont discourage the guy because he is using a pre hopped kit... nothin wrong with it, just a more simplified process...

And Kyoshi, if you are still reading this, which i hope you are and didnt get scared off, These kits are sometimes sold as lagers but include ale yeast, just because it is not technically not a "lager" its just supposed to mimic one. nottingham yeast is fine for your kit, but are you positive that you were told corn syrup? these kits are popular to add corn sugar to and maybe you mixed the two up? also I wouldnt bottle this type of beer at 1.020, it is either too high and will cause the bottles to explode or it is incredibly sweet and not great tasting, let it sit for a couple weeks and taste it and see if you want to bottle it then if the gravity has stayed the same.

For your next batch I would look at some of the recomendations above, and the link to how to brew is a great resource but hey not everybody started reading that right when they started brewing so dont feel bad, it took me a bit to findout about these resources.

best of luck and i hope for the best!

Listen, the guy is a pain in the ass but you shouldn't put him down on the forum. Instead of yelling at him that using pre-hopped kits is stupid and then going on about how you have been brewing for years and it makes you far-superior doesn't help the situation at all. It makes you look like a ****** bag and it makes it seem like all of us are like you.

You should be trying to encourage him and support him. Or just stop posting.

HBT: we're even nice to the trolls.

Given the chance that the OP is not a troll (which I actually find likely), I'm going to tell him or her...

Do not bottle yet!!!

Seriously.

I've got this funny feeling that s/he's done in ignorance (nice definition) what I do with extracts due to laziness... made a nice pool of sugar syrup in the bottom of the carboy, and fill up with water (notice it's not dissolving?), and throw the yeast in there.

That would explain an OG of 1.040 for something that should be 1.050... well, that's not quite so bad, but it should finish out around 1.012 or so.

If this IS what happened, the OP will have to wait (a month? two?) until the residual sugars from the corn or the malt dissolve, and let the yeasts have their desserts.

My recommendation would be to wait about 6 weeks after pitching the yeast to do a sample, assuming temps ~70*F or so.

Latest posts

Back