Sparging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LooyvilleLarry

Reaction score
I am going to do my first AG this weekend, and will likely use a single infusion batch sparging. But I wanted to know if I have the following steps for a stepped mash with continuous.

Are these correct? (Temps from Beer Smith )
1. Heat water (strike) (~13 qts) to ~ 130*
2. Add to grain in MLT, stir/break dough balls
3. 30 min protien rest
3. Raise mash temp to 158*
4. 30 min saccharfication rest
5. Raise mash temp to 168*
6. Mash Out.

If I elected to do continuous sparging ( with motor) at what point whould I start it?

I am doing EdWorts SWMBO Slayer. I am pretty sure that I will do the Single infusion batch sparge with a cooler on this one, but was thinking ahead to some fancy electric MLT for the winter :)

And BTW, good luck brewing on that monster. You should brew a Freedom Ale now that you are resingled !!! My divorce was messy as hell (no kids) and took 1.3 years!!!

Ahhh. . .I see. Your mash schedule looks good then. . . the step mash with protein rest would work good for a hefe.
:)

My divorce took 3 months, and we have 2 kids. I'm looking forward to firing up those kettles tomorrow. . . I'll be brewing all evening :rockin:

Back