Rest for California Common?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
Ok, so I decided to experiment with a Rauchbier using California Common yeast. It's currently in primary in my garage which at this point maintains a steady 57F. By the time it finishes fermenting (2 weeks?) I'll have my lagerator ready. Should I do a rest for it or just start dropping the temp?

This is what I made:

1.00 lbs. Crystal 60L
8.00 lbs. Alexander LME - Pale
1.00 lbs. Smoked(Bamberg)
1.00 lbs. CaraMunich Malt

Hops

0.60 oz. Tettnanger Tettnang
1.40 oz. Tettnanger Tettnang
1.00 oz. Hallertauer Tradition

Fining
0.10 Oz Irish Moss 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast

White Labs WLP810 San Fransisco Lager

That is going to be one sweet Rauch Brown Cali Common brew. Seriously, I have found Rauch malt to be sweet and adding two pounds of caramel should leave a fair amount of sweetness. In which case I would rest at the higher end of the temp range in respect to the specific yeast for nothing else but to help ferment it out. If this is not an issue for you, crash it.

My last Rauch used 85% Rauch malt that turned out what I thought was sickingly sweet but was non offensive to a light beer drinker friend of mine. He just stated it was different, easy to drink and drank a couple more glasses. Seems to be one style of beer that is very subjective from one person to another.

Latest posts

Back