Belgian Starter Showing No Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scut_Monkey

Reaction score
Brewing right now and I noticed that the Abbey Ale WLP 530 starter that I made approximately 13 hours ago shows no yeast slurry. I pitched a full white labs vial into an 1800ml starter. I'm used to seeing a big yeast slurry by now. I have never worked with Belgian yeasts but does this sound normal or abnormal to anyone. Thanks!

I had a similar problem like this when i made my 2000ml starter for a Belgian using WLP500. I made it 2 days before my brew day and when i went to pitch there wasnt the normal large yeast cake at the bottom of the flask, but i pitched it anyway. It didnt take off like a lot of my brews when i pitch a starter, but it took off in about 16 hours and i had a solid fermentation...... so no worries just pitch it and sit back, wait, and have a beer.

Thanks. It really wasn't going to change my brew day because what can I do at this point besides a no chill and running to get more yeast which I don't feel like messing with nor do I think it's necessary. Simply wanted some prior experience to chime in so I had some knowledge to work off of.

The brewing is going solid. I have to say that working with homemade candi syrup is a pain in the a$$ but it smells delicious. About 25 minutes left in the boil.

Good to hear about the brew day and props to you for going all the way and making your own candi syrup..... i have always used AHS Dark Belgian Candi Syrup.

Let us know how it ends up going.

Back