Dry Hoppin'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ntaylor0

Reaction score
So, I am making an IPA (mostly for a buddy of mine) and I want it to be really hoppy (think Pliny the Elder/Younger) and I was wondering what suggestions people had for hops to dry hop with?

As a rule, you can dry hop with any hop, but the rule I tend to follow is that if its high in AA i reserve it for bittering; Low in AA, usually good for dry hopping.

yep. i just made the mistake of putting 2 oz of colombus in a keg of PA, and its way too bitter. i just got a pound of amarillo in the mail yesterday. i'm going to use a small amount in the other keg

Just make sure you put them in a hop bag or something to contain the pellet material as it breaks down.. I just tossed a ounce in the carboy once... big mistake (unless your enjoy hop particles in your finished beer) which most dont lol

If I bottle and don't keg is 7 days good in the primary?

If your going to dry hop in your primary, I'd advise you to wait until the majority or all of the fermentation is complete, or you will loose a lot of aroma. Also 7 day minimum (14 is better) for dry hopping after fermentation.

If your going to dry hop in your primary, I'd advise you to wait until the majority or all of the fermentation is complete, or you will loose a lot of aroma. Also 7 day minimum (14 is better) for dry hopping after fermentation.

+1, try dry hopping in stages as well. If you are going to dry hop 2 oz, cut it in half and dry hop 1 oz for a week and another 1 oz the next week. That is if you can wait that long.:drunk:

If you are going for that piney taste I recommend Simcoe and Columbus. 7-14 days like others have suggested. Maybe Simcoe first then on the 7th day add columbus and let it go another 5-7.

Back