Stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcross13

Reaction score
Fermentation has slowed to about 1 degree every three days. OG at 1.070 and now around 1.026. However hydrometer reads .950 in water. Is everything OK?

I see this is your first post. You need to at least tell us which yeast you are using, the fermentation temperature, and possibly your recipe... If you are mashing, what temp did you mash at? All these details are pertinent.

It was Irish Ale yeast from Wyest. it is a chocolate stout hybrid. fermented at 60-70. I have since aireated and repitched, waiting another day before I try another gravity reading.

It was Irish Ale yeast from Wyest. it is a chocolate stout hybrid. fermented at 60-70. I have since aireated and repitched, waiting another day before I try another gravity reading.

First off, 1.026 is not a bad FG for a big stout. Not bad at all.

Secondly, did you say that you RE-aerated and repitched? If you added oxygen to a fermented beer you are probably going to encounter a heavy cardboard taste. Generally speaking, you don't want to introduce oxygen after fermentation has begun.

Sounds like you might have made the rookie mistake of trying to fix a beer that was just fine.

-Mike

Hopefully, the re-pitched yeast will consume the oxygen you added.

Going from 1.070 to 1.026 is an ADF of 62%, which is a little low for that strain (typically 71% - 75% attenuation).

Was this AG? Did you mash particularly high, say 158° F or higher?

Also, if there were a lot of un- or low- fermentable grains in the bill, you might just be stuck at 1.026.

well see doing a new reading today. hey thanks for the help the back handed complements can be kept to yourself. Mr professional.

EAC?.
Grizzlly brew thanks for your help. Reading did not drop, bottled and prayed. Taste not changed from first reading day. it may be ok.

Back