First time using wort chiller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunarpancake

Reaction score
Just got my new copper tube immersion wort chiller and I know I need to clean it before first use but I forget the instructions of how to do this. I remember reading somewhere something about a vinegar solution, but I cannot remember exactly.

Anyone know off hand?

Thanks!

I soaked my immersion chiller in a vinegar soultion and scrubbed it good prior to first use. I made it myself so had to get rid of flux residue but the vinegar cleaned it really well. I am not sure of the procedure for a counter flow chiller.

I made my own immersion chiller and boiled it for 15 minutes in water. Used it the next day on an IPA and it worked great and left absolutely no off flavors in the beer.

Vinegar & Hydrogen Peroxide is used to cure brass. Just boil the IC in your pot for a test run. In the future about 15 minutes before the end of each boil put it in the kettle to sanitize it. I usually give it a shot of starsan before it goes in the boil just for my own sanity...

While I'm prepping my setup, I boil water in a spare kettle and drop my immersion chiller in it for about 15 minutes or so. I'll drop it in my sanitizing bucket and let it sit for a few minutes before actually submerging it in my wort.

I've used this method on about 6 batches so far and have never had any issues with taste or sanitization.

Back