Liquidation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatherJack

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just completed my first add all your hops to liquid malt extract boil (to make a pale ale).

I had one slight problem...

I put my Cascade hops in a bag, plopped the bag in at the allotted time, came back to make my second addition and...

The hops in the first bag escaped!! They liquefied themselves, jumped ship and went into my wort. I think I got most of them on the transfer to the primary, but what about the stuff left?

I'm assuming it's no biggie since they are no longer boiling. Is it just a matter of letting them settle in there for a while?

Thanks!!

They will be fine, just let them settle out in the primary. Lots of folks just dump everything in to the primary and give it 3-4 weeks then keg/bottle.

they will probably drop out to the bottom when fermentation is complete. If you have an option of cold crashing your primary when its done fermenting, that would help.

Yeah, I figured as much. I may just skip the bag step next time and just dump it all in. Sneaky rascals.

Now, if I have some remnants in there, should I cut back on my dry hopping amount? Or just full speed ahead with the original amount?

Thanks again!

Dry hops are to add the aroma from hops that have NOT been boiled, so full speed ahead is correct.

The above posters are correct, you'll be just fine.

I'm guessing you used pellet hops in your bag. When pellet hops are manufactured whole hop cones are ground up into a fine powder and compressed into pellet form. When added to hot water these pellets begin to fall apart. So your hops didn't liquefy, but simply returned to their original form and slipped through the holes in your bag.

Yes, I did use pellets. And from now on, they're swimming without any bag when it's brew time.

Many thanks again to all!

Back