Question on a magnetic stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
I am going to build me own in a cigar box from a computer fan, hard drive magnet, adjustable resister, and cell phone charger. My question is about the stir rod. From what I've seen these are small bar type magnets you drop into the flask. Two Questions: 1. Where do you get them? 2. Once your starter is done how do you get them out without a bunch of trouble and increase in infection possibility?

Also, about how violent do you want the stir to be?

BillTheslink

Ebay is the easiest place to order them. You use a magnet to fish them out. Apply to the side next to the stir bar and slide it up and out of the flask.

You want oxygen to infuse the starter so really all you need is a small dimple in the surface. As long as the the surface area is changing you will get the needed oxygen for growth.

1. You can get the stir bars at some homebrew shops and also online science supply houses.
2. Sterilize your stirbar before putting into the starter. Follow your normal process, pitch slowly trying not to dump the stirbar into the fermentor, then dump it out when cleaning your flask. If you do drop into you fermentor, you can leave until done or fish out with a sterilized metal bar.
3. You want more of a "dimple" then a vortex.

Cheers,
Glenn

I've dumped the stire bar into the carboy with no ill effects. But like stated above using a magnet on the bottom when you pour is the best way. I've even used a magnet on the outside to pull it out of a carboy without touching anything inside. I have a 2 inch and a 1 inch bar, the 1 inch bar works great and the 2 inch one I've had a hard time gettin to stay. Don't be fooled by the little 1 incher it is more than enough to get things going

Back