Stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_met

Reaction score
So I've been brewing for about 16 years and have never had a "stuck fermentation" until now. Its a barely wine and has been on the primary for about 3 months when I finally got around to move it to the secondary.

The OG was at least 1.100 (I don't have my notes with me). When moving to the secondary it was 1.040.

The yeast I used was the cake of a prior batch I brewed the week before. I had some problems with my counterflow chiller (got clogged), so I think this was caused by too warm of wort onto the yeast.

Any advice? I was thinking maybe putting a little champaine yeast on to see what happens. I usually add champaine yeast when bottling (I age for a year before bottling BW)

I never rack to secondary until primary is done, as primary = fermentation and secondary = clearing. Racking at 1.040 is likely what caused the stuck fermentation...removing too much yeast, in the presence of too much alcohol.

make a starter, even if its dry yeast, then pitch it. the yeast needs to be active when its pitched or it won't likely get going too well in that alcohol rich environment.

The yeast I used was the cake of a prior batch I brewed the week before. I had some problems with my counterflow chiller (got clogged), so I think this was caused by too warm of wort onto the yeast.

Any idea what temp the wort was at when you put it on the yeast cake? What temp was the yeast at? Asking because I will be following your example in the fall.

Back